Pod Your Reef

20L and the live rock blues.

webfoot

So on Thursday last week I had a beautiful 20 gallon long pristine tank. 40lbs. of live sand, a Coralife 2 x 65w light system and crystal clear water.

(hope this pic loads I'm new at this)

Friday morning my live rock arrived. Select Lalo, 35 lbs (used about 27 in this tank)

By Firday evening my tank had turned to the color and consistency of hot chocolate!!

and finally by Wednesday, after 50% water changes twice a day I'm finally seeing daylight (or my rocks are haha) I have a wait ahead of me while the rocks cure fully, but I'm really pleased with them and eager to get everything else going.

Sorry that last shot has a reflection of the windows in it.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention was the SMELL !! Oh my gosh, I'd NEVER smelt anything worse haha for four days the whole house stunk ';-) Thank goodness that's over with.

Thanks for th epainting suggestion..I may have to take you up on that ';-)

I love the skimmer. It's a Coralife. I've had it for about 6 years now. It usually lives on my 10 gallon fish only tank and it does a really great job. Boy it sure pulled out some stuff from this tank but I noticed over the past day or so the consistancy of the foam has changed alot and the color is way clearer. Couldn't have done without it over the past week though.

you know why you're eager-cuz that rock looks great!!! not just the aquascaping, i mean diversity, shape, etc. nice choice. GL and be patient!

over and out

tg

After getting my own 25 tall several months ago, I truly do like the longer tanks so much more.. you can get more lights over them, and closer to the corals... plus you have more room to work with... very impressive...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback ((grin))

I ordered the live rock online (hope it's okay to say that here) it came from Drs. Foster and Smith liveaquaria.com Its the Select Lalo live rock and I'm thrilled with it. Tons of shape color and life. I was worried about ordering online but as I'm a good three hours away from the nearest city I almost had no choice.

Thanks again.

harbingerofthefish

Looking nice. I like the spread out look to your rock work. longs are nice.

*side note*

Those little fish on top of your tank...I have one myself. It used to sit on top my 7 but the damn cat kept knocking it in the tank so he could go fishing.

SeaMountain

LR looks great! I thought about ordering the Lalo LR too, but I only had a 10g and couldn't find anyone to split it up with me here. So I went with the 22lbs Fiji Select from LiveAquaria too.

Couldn't be happier with the delivery, but yours does look a lot nicer. What happened to make the water that bad? I would have cr@pped if my tank did that! :o

Do you have any critters or action happening on your rock yet? If so, how long was it before you saw anything? My LR has been in the tank for 24 hours and I am dying to see stuff start crawling like everybody else "says" they do! ;)

Agree with the long tanks too. Your setup looks sweet! :)

I'm presuming the "soup" was a result of some die off on the rocks during shipping. They weren't cured and perhaps they sat around somewhere a bit too long!

There are some tube worms, and some other wormy looking things in there that I've seen. Some tiny snails too. Loads of gorgeous coraline, pale pink, dark pink, green, red, and purple. Various macro algae too. I think one the water gets better (I chose to cycle it in the tank as there wasn't anything else in there but sand) more stuff will open up and show itself.

On my first reef, I cured all 100+ pounds in my aquarium. The water looked exactly the same. :) It went on to be a fantastic reef. No worries.

John

Thanks everyone for such wonderful feedback. I did a 50% water change two days ago and so far things seem to be leveling out. I think my hubby is secretly laughing at how much someone can love a wet rock !!! HEHE (especially when he catches me staring into the tank looking for life!)

Here's one last picture that I just took a few moments ago with the actinics on.

Why does it look like ther eis a Green living brain coral dead center in that tank and some other corals on the far left?

: Shenanagans.

the LR turned yer tank black cause you had sponge die off and macro alga collapse.

can you take some closeups? I would like to see those rocks closer and I am not familliar with that "new" type of rock.

Dave,

here are some close ups. I'm kind of annoyed with my camera it never seems to show the correct colors or how bright the tank actually is GRRRR. Oh well.

There are hard encrusting corals on the rock but they aren't alive ';-( There was absolutly no signs of even decay coming from then when the rock came. It was shipped straight from where it was colletced apart from a day layover. The previous week our order wasn't filled as they didnt like the quality of the rock they were sent. We got a phone call at 8.00pm at night saying it had arrived in California and that they were overnighting it to us.

Hope these pics show up okay.

Archived