Pod Your Reef

What can I feed my linkia star?

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

I have a huge linkia star in a 30 gallon tank, and I don't think there's enough food on the rocks to sustain him. Is there something I can supplement his diet with?

In the aquarium, small pieces of clam meat or tablets can be placed under the starfish. Flakes and mysis. May have to target feed

I recently aqcuired a huge one (blue) and have since been doing some more research and found several good threads in the invert section at RC.

From what I'm reading from experienced star keepers, you need a minimum of 150 lbs of rock for it to survive. Without that much rock, it could take up to a year to starve with no visible signs other than deflation until it starts to dissolve.

IMO, if you are serious about keeping it alive, get a larger tank or give him to someone who does. We (reefkeepers) and marine biologists alike are not sure what Linckia eat, so I'd be hesitant at this point to believe that target feeding him anything will do the trick. It rarely works, but you may be the exception. In a tank that small, I'm sorry to say I dont think he'll make it.

Check out those threads. If you need a link to them, let me know and I'll PM you.

Tang

Archived