Coral Vue Hydros

More tank setup questions...

AndyL

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the previous replies, But I have some more questions now (of course) Just a reminder, this is my first saltwater setup; so some questions are probably stupid obvious.

So far, I've decided on the 10g glass aquarium. I have obtained the stuff to build a hood (39w to start; 2 50/50 1- 10,000k 13w bulbs)

Firstly, I've been on the hunt for live sand/rock. Sand I can't seem to get (unless I mail order it from a LONG way away) Most stores have said just to use regular aragonite, and live rock; live sand wasn't worth the expense. So the question is, should I listen to them? Or should I pursue getting some live sand?

Second question, How much sand? I want about a 3" bed anyone know how to calculate lbs from that?

thirdly, to refugium or not? I've aquired the parts/supplies to build one approx 2gallons, using a HOB pump assembly. Plan would be to build it like a HOB filter. I have a spare 13w flourescent fixture to mount over it.

Some people have mentioned using a skimmer, others say don't... What should I do? This is my first saltwater tank... I don't know what type / kinds of coral I'll be trying to keep. Largely depends on what I can get locally (which right now is pretty sad; looking up though the pet store just got 800 gallons dedicated to saltwater; sure beats the 120g they have now). Whatever I keep it will be hardy (just because I have been known to kill things).

Lastly, what hardy (see above about killing things) fish should I be looking at? Original thought was a clown/anemone, but then it was suggested to use a clown + no anemone. Now I'm looking at some other choices... There was a gorgeous flame angel at the LPS (full grown, its been at the LPS for over 2 years now). But a little reading says it would need more tank space... One of the pet stores I've consulted with as to LR/LS suggested a demoiselle (dwarf varieties of damsels). What do you guys think? I know your opinion on damsels, even though I can't seem to find anything searching (why does everyone say search for damsel, all you find is a whole lot of posts saying 'go search for damsel'). One last question, what about 2 smaller fish? The LPS has a nice dottyback (they don't know what variety) but its pretty small, maybe 2" long, its been in their tanks for 2 years also; so its probably full grown.

Andy

you've been known to kill things? such as? dogs, cats? people?

you can do the sand the way they suggest and let the live rock seed the sand or, when you order the live rock you can order sand from the same place (saves on shipping costs).

calculating the amount needed for a 3" sandbed is a math problem. I currently stare at number for 17 or more hours a day and will not willingly do a math problem at this time.

fuge is up to you. some have them some don't. Really a personal decision. I love mine but it doesn't help remove any algae from the main tank. tons of pods tho.

skimmer is not really necessary, same as the fuge. if you do one, you shouldn't need both (I'll be running an experiment on that soon). search the boards here and you will see the skim or not skim argument is a long one with no final answer.

10 gallon can go with 2 fish but, as this is your first foray into the world of reef keeping, I would stick with just one fish and make it a non-aggressive fish. This way, when you add another fish it won't get the crap beat out of it. Perhaps a clown goby (real small and they love to perch on corals). Plus they are real cheap.

Corals? that is something you need to decide on now, before you pick a fish and before you finalize your lighting options. If you already picked the lighting, you will need to work within the confines of those lights. that will dictate what corals you keep and, in turn, help with the fish decision.

Originally posted by Crakeur

you've been known to kill things?  such as?  dogs, cats?  people?

Corals?  that is something you need to decide on now, before you pick a fish and before you finalize your lighting options.  If you already picked the lighting, you will need to work within the confines of those lights.  that will dictate what corals you keep and, in turn, help with the fish decision.

Well if the kid doesn't stop whining, and the cats keep chewing on my air-hoses... :D So far just fish, and the occasional coyote on the highway... :)

Thanks for the .02, don't suppose that formula for figuring out how many lbs of sand to buy is written down somewhere?

I didn't mention it in the original post, but the hood actually has 5 13w fixtures in it, "Just in case". (Home Hardware had the CF trouble lights on sale, how could I resist?) At some point, someone will have to explain the whole softie/lps/sps thing to me, I dont understand... Like I said, it will pretty much depend on what the LPS has...

Andy

SeaMountain

To give you an idea... I placed a 20 lb bag of Arag-Alive into my 10g and it gave me an approx. 2" deep bed.

For 3"? I would say about 30lbs.(?)

lrtankcrnr.JPG

This pic is a bit cloudy. It was taken right after I dropped in 22lbs of LR, but will give you a good idea of what a 2" bed looks like. I think 3" would have been too much for my tastes. B)

Archived