SaltCritters.com

does anyone have any extra chaeto?

Riona

Hm, I was given some caulerpa(completely free) tonight, and since I made a short post on another forum about it I've been told by everyone responding to trash it and get chaeto. The only problem with that is that my LRS doesn't order it(/"doesn't think he can get it in") and no one nearby has any in their tanks/fuges. I really can't drive 4 hours to get some of it and I really hate to pay for a large bag of chaeto+shipping costs of most places to get a huge bag of it that I'd need to throw away most of... I live in Grand Junction, CO if anyone is close by(erm, and no, the rocky mountain group is WAY too far away... 4+ hours one way trip in a vehicle that may not make it over the mountains...)

What kinda caulerpa do you have? The main reason people say to get chaeto is that it doesn't go sexual and does a good job of nutrient export. I've heard that caulerpa actually does a better job of nutrient export as long as you prune it regularly. I actually have some grape caulerpa in my tank and it grows VERY fast. I've read that it... either doesn't or hardly ever goes sexual... I forget which. Personally, I like a mixture of different macros and would consider keeping what you have and just keep it properly maintained. Just my 2 cents.

Archived