Pod Your Reef

Easy MJ Mod

Travis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this mod to my two MJ 1200 I was curious as to how much of a difference in flow there was so I took the mj1200 off of my remora and placed a modded mj next to the stock mj and turned them on there was a marked increase in the modded vs the stock mj. I know that this is in no way a scientific comparison but I just wanted to add my .02

Actually, there is less pressure on the impeller so it is able to spin faster.

I realize that.

Less pressure = more RPM = more friction = more heat = higher chance of motor failing

Lets say the pump regularly runs at "idle" speed...now youre trying to rev it and keep it there.

• 4 weeks later...

Giving this thread a respectful bump as I just did the mod and works great.

One other thing is that not only is it extra flow, but tis diffuse flow which for aquarium water movement is much better than direct flow. I would do the mod on a MJ 900-1200 in a nano jsut for that.

cheers

The pump motor itself will not change speed, no way to. Unless you change voltage into the motor with a voltage regulator. The only thing changing speed would be the impeller. The motor would be working the same. Not more. Life span would be based on work done by the motor not impeller. Its a mag driven not direct driven to motor works the same all the time. But, maybe I'm off.

• 5 weeks later...

bump for my very favorite kind of mod, fast, easy, cheap, and effective

kudos!

just FYI, i did it the way Travis showed, drilling the holes and cutting off the output nozzle, but i cut my output nozzle back further like Socalsuperhero did so i got the wider flow path and drilled like 10 to 12 holes instead of just the 6 or 8 shown in Travis' pics...

wonderful results, easily doubled the flow in my tank using these two MJ600's

Did anyone try just modding the inlet side to increase the flow in a pump situation? Did it work? I was thinking of trying it on my mj1200 on my remora skimmer just was curious if it was a waste of time.

• 1 month later...

does anybody have any idea if something like this could work on an aquaclear 30 powerhead?

this looks awesome for an MJ though!

• 2 months later...

Just a note on the long term use of these MJ's with drilled intakes. I did this to 3 MJ 400's and while 2 are now modded with boat props, I still have one from when this thread started so the mod don't seem to impact the life of the pump so far. (Some were concerned).

More importantly, I just wanted to note that as the modded pump ages, it becomes increasingly difficult to get the bottom intake cover off for cleaning since you dont have the output nozzle to turn it. On mine I need something to torque it, like a fork handle. Just an FYI.

Socalsuperhero
Just a note on the long term use of these MJ's with drilled intakes. I did this to 3 MJ 400's and while 2 are now modded with boat props, I still have one from when this thread started so the mod don't seem to impact the life of the pump so far. (Some were concerned).

More importantly, I just wanted to note that as the modded pump ages, it becomes increasingly difficult to get the bottom intake cover off for cleaning since you dont have the output nozzle to turn it. On mine I need something to torque it, like a fork handle. Just an FYI.

Just want to second Drez. I've had two running for some time now, and run they do, just as they did on day one. Again, the only problem has been the nozzles become difficult to remove. Screwdriver works wonders though, but I haven't really had any reason to take them off.

AWESOME MOD!

• 4 weeks later...
Did anyone try just modding the inlet side to increase the flow in a pump situation? Did it work? I was thinking of trying it on my mj1200 on my remora skimmer just was curious if it was a waste of time.

anyone try that?

• 7 months later...

bump for a great mod, looks like it got lost in time, took me about 25 pages of searching to find it, did it to three MJ600's still running and pumping like crazy today

perfect example of why it's faster and easier to post a question than to "OMG YOU NOOB USE TEH SEARCH FEETURE"

LOL

mod works excellently, i think i added at least 30% if not more output to my mj1200s in my 20. word of caution though, these things will turn the water surface into a boiling mess. i go through over 1/2 gallon of evap a day!

Thuis mod doesn't replace the maxijet mod at all. The mod of this thread makes the flow wider and makes it feel stronger. The maxijet mod is just crazy and gives you about 2000 GPH.

Thuis mod doesn't replace the maxijet mod at all. The mod of this thread makes the flow wider and makes it feel stronger. The maxijet mod is just crazy and gives you about 2000 GPH.

very true, but for free it's a good solution for those that want wider and stronger flow without turning their tank into a sandstorm ;)

INGENIUS !! I'm gonna mod my 2 maxijets 600's this weekend!! I love my maxijets but flow has always been an issue.

THANKSYA!! ;)

dont forget you will lose some flow aiming capability, if you have them on a timer they wont always come back on aiming the same direction, just FYI

speakeraddict

That's a good thing in my book. Going to do my room divider 55 with 4 of them on a wavemaker. Should really break up pattern dead spots while saving money.

dantimdad

neanderthalman

I noted some old old comments regarding pump life, and while ancient, I'd like to properly address them for the sake of anyone trying this mod, with something besides anectodal evidence.

You will not reduce the pump life in this instance, and it's pretty simple as to why. Pump current goes down with RPM. Lowering the loading (flow resistance) increases the RPM of the pump, thus, reducing the current draw of the pump below nominal. The component that experiences significant heating, in this case, the stator windings, will be heated less than normal.

The bearing surfaces, however, between the the rotor/impeller and shaft, will experience slightly higher heating from friction. However, these same surfaces are constantly cooled by the increased water flow around them, so any temperature increase will be negligible. There will also be a negligible drop in heating in the rotor magnet assembly itself from eddy currents, which would help offset the increased frictional heating from the increased pump speed.

Archived