Coral Vue Hydros

Bi-Color Angelfish okay in a 20H gallon?

KOFP

I really love bi-colors angelfish and wonder weather i'd be able to put one in my 20H gallon aquarium in the future. Could I buy a smaller one and see how he grows, or is 20 gallon too small? Please help. Thanks.

P.S. i will also have a pair of percula clowns

but would it be OKAY, not the best but would it do okay? i have heard plenty of sources saying it would do fine. does anyone else have an opinion or concrete evidence?

No, it wouldn't be ok. They're too active for smaller tanks and even if the water quality doesn't stunt their growth, the confines will cause undue stress which will lead to all kinds of fun disease outbreaks.

The fish don't work within our requirements, we have to work within theirs. This is just how nature is, this particular type of fish needs ample space to live and its not a matter of making it work with the space we decide to give it, its a matter of us giving it the space it needs to live in comfort and good health.

Yes, I believe he could live ok in a 20 high, with minimal live rock. Just OK. Had a centropyge sp. angel (fisheri) in my 40, didn't feel he deserved smaller, plus he picked at my open brains and battered my Oscellaris clowns, oh yeah, and my flasher wrasse didn't come out until I got rid of him. He was a perfect angel :P for 2 weeks, then I decided I wanted seahorses, so I planned on removing him when that time came. I posted on here to trade with someone, the next day he went nuts. Tore up my clowns, wrecked havoc on the tank. Just took him back to the LFS, didn't want him to be someone on here's problem. Look into a nice Flasher wrasse, blenny, firefish, etc. Peaceful is good, KeeperofFishyPeace

CD

I'd love to take a whack @ your idea and put some positive thoughts in there, but I can't do it. I, too, always wanted one for my 20L and then my 40R. Unfortunatly, they are horrible little buggers when it comes to coral munching. The do, as everyone said, need more space. They are perhaps the largest of the "small" angelfish, too. With regards to your "stay smaller" statement, no. Fish will literally grow to the point in which it becomes difficult for them to move around in the tank. At that point they will either die of stress, over population, or pollution. Sorry. Check out a cherub pygmy. Our old thread's still around the forums.

the only angel i would consider would be a cherub pygmy

angels are very active fish. i have a coral beauty in my 55g and i couldnt see her in anything less than a 48" long tank

I agree with all the other posts. I too would love a wider variety of fish in my tank but I have chosen a smaller tank and that limits my selection. It is not the fish's fault you chose a smaller tank we need to be responsible and remember fish don't have a choice.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have a tiny one in a 50g and he makes use of the entire aquarium.

no corals, but he's eaten every little feather duster or worm that dares stick its butt outta the rock. :)

wait till your 150 is up and running :)

One word Upgrade :D .

hey why not?

MJD

Agreed. Taking a fish out of the ocean and putting it in the confines of an aquarium is bad enough, but to put it in a 20g, especially a vertically oriented one, is just torture. Call me pygmy angel police, call me animal rights person, or whatever, but I know myself that I wouldn't want to live my entire life in my 10x10 room.

The contrasting colors on the bicolor angel truly are stunning, but there are smaller, reef safe fish with vibrant, contrasting colors that won't be as negatively affected by sticking them in a 20g. Bottom line, respect the fish's requirements; it's the least the people in this hobby can do.

I used to work at a LFS, and all too often, people bought fish on appearance or behavior and ignored their basic survival needs. Emperor angels in 10 gallons, arowanas in 40 gallons, etc.. The outcome is never good, and it's cruel to the fish. Our policy was to not sell them fish if they couldn't meet the fish's requirements, but that never stopped people from lying to us, or shopping elsewhere.

With the way the fish industry is going, we need to be more responsible with the lives of the fish we buy, not compromise them. This will only extend the hobby and prevent a negative impact on the trade and the population.

Not much of a positive post, but I felt it needed to be said. :P

i so agree with you guys now. no bicolor in my 20H!!! maybe a flame? anyone have a nice sized colorful fish that i can have?

I love my firefish goby. He is really colorful with bright red and an almost florescent yellow on his head.

I wouldnt put any angel in a 20h. Not even a Cherub. A 20l, maybe. But not a high. I couldnt see putting my cherub in anything smaller than a 36" tank, he is too active. A royal gramma would be okay in a 20h. Honestly, I'd just stick with the pair of clowns you have planned. They will interact more if by themselves and will prove to be very entertaining. (I have a pair of ocellaris alone in my 20h)

i guess its fare to say no angels at all

they are all active fish that love to swim and in a 20h theres not much room to swim back and forth. its like seeing a tiger in a tiny cage at a zoo just pacing back and forth, the tiger wants out! the same thing will happen with an angel

clowns are the best for nano's and other fish that dont swim as actively (gobies, basslets, gramma's, possibly a cardinal fish and some smaller damsels ie. talbot and yellow tails)

Archived