SaltCritters.com

need P.H. stability!

GuyontheCouch

GuyontheCouch

I wanted to be sure everything was ok in my tank before i started buying corals. (My initial cycle is done!!!) My p.h. is a good 8.2-8.4 during the day, but after the lights go out, its usually between 7.8-8.0. I figure that much of a change isnt good. So i was thining about having 2 blue LED lights for the tank and adding one white LED for the AC20 switch on after the PC's go out. Would this help the PH problem???

No, that won't make a difference. IS the AC20 running as a fuge? If not convert it to one and either run it on an opposite schedule to your main tank or run it 24/7 to stabilize ph.

This is how I doit and my tank is fine..

I run LR, Carbon, and Cheato in my AC30.. which dosent have a light but since it is clear i think it gets enough light from when my tank is on because the cheato is fine.

I also have cheato in my tank just incase the stuff in the filter craps out. and LR of course.

Is your salinity right in the tank and how much LR do you have? Maybe thats why your PH is fluctuating.

Directional, ph fluctuation in a saltwater reef is natural. In the morning your ph is at it's lowest and at the end of your light cycle it will be at it's highest. The numbers that guy mentioned are spot on and totally acceptable if he can't add a fuge or light it on a reverse cycle. With the fuge the chaeto will consume co2 and produce o2 helping maintain ph at proper levels, but at night when ther is no light over the chaeto or whatever macro you use the plant is actually giving co2 off and using o2. High co2 drives ph down. Thats why you reverse light or light 24/7 this way thre will always be some photosynthesis occurring, stabilizing ph.

That much change in PH isn't to bad. The only thing I would do is to measure your KH to make sure it isn't to low. The lower your KH is the more unstable your PH will be. It should be around 9 to 11.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still a noob.

So since I have cheato in my tank with no light on at night ( will be giving led lunar lights ) my PH is going down? I guess it still stays in a good range because my corals are happy :D

GuyontheCouch

Just curious, I have nothing in the AC20, but if i did put some LR in it, what would i use to keep it lit at night?

Or, should i leave things be seeing as a couple of you guys say that range is ok?

I wil def. check my Kh

My salinity is fine, and i have a tad over 3lbs LR and about a one inch live sand bed.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes that is correct, and I don't think the LED will do much. It's great at accentuating your corals at night, but without a lot of LEDs it's not going to be enough light for plants.

Yes that is correct, and I don't think the LED will do much. It's great at accentuating your corals at night, but without a lot of LEDs it's not going to be enough light for plants.

Hi,

I have a 3Gallons pico that I am running with an AC20(white sponge that came withe the filter + rubble rocks).

I am planning on changing the AC to a refugium with a 9W PC on it, with the rubble rocks, and chaeto.

3 questions:

-Is the ac too small for a refugium?

-Does the chaeto have to be summerged entirely?

-What I'm really concerned about is, the light from the refugium will brighten up the tank. Will that bother my livestock?

1 goby

1 porcelain crab,

corals.

Thank you for your help!

Ps: I forget to mention that I have chaeto, and a little of Ogo, and maiden's hair in my tank right now.

After running the ac as a refugium, chaeto will be in the ac, and ogo, maiden's hair in the tank.

What size was the 20 under the old numbering system? It might be a little small, but your tank is as well. Every little helps when you are trying to control nutrients. When I had my 5.5 gallon set up I used an AC 300 and replaced the impellor with the one from an AC mini. When your chaeto gets growing it will grow out of the water, mine always did, shouldn't hurt anything, just trim that part as needed. As for light bleed, it will, but should be ok as well. I played with my fuge light constantly until I got it in a place that suited me. It didn't look any brighter to me than a little moonlight bleeding in. You can also try rigging something up to block some of the light. At different times I tried hanging towels, cardboard and finally settled on just lwering the hanging pendant that my pc lights were in as low as it would go and this blocked enough of the fuge light for me. Also, I should mention that the back of my tank was also painted black blocking any bleed through there.

Archived