ReefCleaners.org

Octopus Cult

ReefApprentice

I'd like to know where they are easy to get as well.

my old LFS, 'The Pet Store' in Athens, GA closed down almost a year ago.

While they were around, they had some of the best Live Rock, the best animals, and the best corals for extremely cheap.

I wish I had been so involved in the hobby when they were around.

an octopus for 19.99 is a pretty good deal, and they had them constantly.

I have an old 45 Perfecto cube [something like 24x24x24] in my basement [no chiller, woo] and am considering an octopus...again. I was planning for one a few years ago back when octopets.com was selling them..

Maybe it's time for one..

Plus you can get lots of 300+ mud whelks [being sold as nassarius snails] on ebay cheap. Watching them hunt is cool :)

Plus you can get lots of 300+ mud whelks [being sold as nassarius snails] on ebay cheap. Watching them hunt is cool :)

As is the kind found in the eastern US? How well do they clean? lol, I am asking because I have an infinite supply. ;)

As is the kind found in the eastern US? How well do they clean? lol, I am asking because I have an infinite supply. ;)

I have no idea, here is [one of the] the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/300-NEW-CORAL-SAFE-SNA...tem140052465546

Ilyanassa Obsoleta

A quick ebay search says San fransisco, but they are also called 'Eastern Mud Whelks' so i'd assume also from the east.

Why? Can you get us n-r.com octopus-nuts some? :o

[although they prefer crabs, but snails will do from time to time..]

Can I join as an apprentis?

I am told I am cool by drunks and if you read under my avitar I have an abject hatred for the common nano reefer.

Dose it help that ime insane?

I have no idea, here is [one of the] the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/300-NEW-CORAL-SAFE-SNA...tem140052465546

Ilyanassa Obsoleta

A quick ebay search says San fransisco, but they are also called 'Eastern Mud Whelks' so i'd assume also from the east.

Why? Can you get us n-r.com octopus-nuts some? :o

[although they prefer crabs, but snails will do from time to time..]

Like I said, I have tons of mud dwelling snails similar in structure right in my backyard. I would not like to collect so many as to harm the local ecosystem. A few snails here and there should hurt though ;)

Travis, you are right in the middle of their range. I don't think you could hurt the balance. One problem though. They are generally found deeper. When you find them shallow, they usually have a parasite. The parasite completes it's lifecycle in birds, so the parasite drives the snails to shallower water.

There is an article on it in that magazine thingy on RC. I can't post a link to it though. *Crappy RC* Just go there, it's right on the intro page. Scroll down, I think it's the first article.

Great article Ray. I have always been skeptical about these snails. Good to know. Also frightening about the flukes!
It's amazing what one can glean from RC without ever going into the forums! :D

thanks ray. i have actually gotten "swimmer's itch" quite a few times. this is like the population in the local marshes/my backyard.

i_obsoleta_lg_d.jpg

we have millions of them, but it may not be a wise choice to collect them since the parasite would be transferred to cozmo. also the water temp is around 60 F locally. in certain mini bio-topes in the marshes large numbers of these snails have been "converted" to small hermits. lol. they do come onto land very frequently; however, i could still get some in waters of around 5ft or so with a casting net. then again, its not really worth the parasite ;)

Not hard to catch the crabs like the one in my avatar, either. I took this picture at one of the many local marsh areas.

If you could sell those in groups of 10 for less than $13 shipped, you'd be my best friend in the whole wide world :) lol

I'm no cult member, and this guy is no longer among the living....

But anyhow, here ya go.

BROcomingout.jpg

Look closely, see it coming out of hiding?

BROontherock.jpg

Fully emerged.

BROTakeoff.jpg

Preparing to take off.

BROontheglass.jpg

Landing on the other side of the tank.

BROfuzzypic.jpg

Sorry, this one is kind of fuzzy. I turned around when it flashed, and tried my best to get a shot.

ReefApprentice

That is amazing Ray!! Isn't freaky knowing that just rearranging a rock could kill you though?

Alex

I kept an octo for just over a year. One of the neatest animals I have ever had. You need to be able to give him time each day to feed and play with. I preferred feeding mine live crabs, but I know that isn't an option for everyone. I lived by the ocean and would collect all types of crabs and that way he could get a variety and get to hunt different prey. When I did feed him store bought shrimp I'd always put it in a container so it wasn't too easy for him.

My tank was 60 gallons, but the next time I get one as a pet I'll go with a bigger tank. It was much easier to octo proof the tank than you would think. I attached one picture of how the pump returns were plumbed in. Do not bother with powerheads, external pumps are easiest. All the small rocks he will move around, but they need those to build up a home. Mine only inked once, after that he was always calm. Mine was able to recognize me, as his colors would flash differently when I approached vs. other people.

I have the tank and all but one filter assembly still. I plan on selling it all, since I don't currently have the space or time to devote to an animal like this.

post-23785-1164375716_thumb.jpg

post-23785-1164375866_thumb.jpg

post-23785-1164375961_thumb.jpg

God damn I want one,but prices for stuff here is crazy :angry:

If I had all the sales you guys have I would probably have 5 tanks!Fully stocked!

But maby I mean I WILL win the lottery and get really kick ass aquariums goin.

ReefApprentice

Randy what kind of octo is that? Vulgaris I am assuming due to size. I have 5 bimacs, 4 as of tomorrow is a 60g, they are small but they are hassling each other, so I need to find a home for a few. My top is not nearly that sealed, but I doub't these will climb out becuase they have 100s of harmits, and rocks to be in. If they were determined the could get out, but I'm hoping not. I am octo member x5 lol. Fugu you can join cus your from canada and i like canada.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, with a valid SW fishing license, you have a 2 octo per day limit. Only catch is that you can't use any sort of net or other device to capture them.

So, basically, if you can manage to get one with your bare hands and wrangle it all the way up to the surface...it's all yours.

Archived