Pod Your Reef

help! I have no clue where to start

marynjason

Hi everyone...I'm starting a new and as I see a very EXPENSIVE hobby.

I have a few questions for those more expirenced in this field.

I currently have a 125 tank, live sand and crushed coral..(which as turned my tank water completly white) lol Its been very cloudy all day

I purchaed the water from our local aquarium store and the salt.

The water in the tank is reading 1.023

I just purchaed a sump pump..???.... ???and something that hangs on the tank "twin chambers"?? because i dont have drilled holes in my tank??

should I have holes drilled>?? or is this contraption ok??

I bought on ebay a Brand New 2005 Jebo UV-H24 Ultra Violet Sterilizer including 24 watt bulb I paid $80.00

I just recently purchased a 72" Current USA 6x96w PC Fixture w/ Moonlights it has 6 96w bulbs for a total output of 576 watts: 4 daylight and 2 actinic bulbs and 6 moon lights itt was 2 months old..I paid $200.00.

Did I get a good deal on these????

What else do I actually need?? the stores are telling me a protein skimmer....but I thought I needed that when I got fish..alot of fish??

Im not planning on introducing expensive corals or fish until I know what I'm doing.

I have also been told I need 1lbs of live rock per gallon..Is that true?

I have 60lbs of live sand....40lbs of crushed coral.....and 22lbs of reef base.

I also have a heater that is the ONLY thing I can use from my fresh water set up.....

What temp should the water be at??

I'm afraid the garage will get hott in the summer...FLORIDA summer..

{the tank never has gotten above 84-85}

My tank is in the wall which inside the house stays no warmer than 76 at all times...I maybe looking into insulating the ceiling of the garage to help lower the temps in there during the day..I also plan on 2 osilating fans..1 on the sump and 1 towards the top of the tank

Is there anything you guys think I'm lacking or that I need, I'm just scared of getting ripped off because of not having the knowledge.

Please any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Alright well the contraption on the back of the tank with the two chambers I believe is most likely an overflow box which is perfect for your setup since you dont have holes drilled for your tank, that is fine (actually what I am going to get when i set up my 120 gallon).

I just recently purchased a 72" Current USA 6x96w PC Fixture w/ Moonlights it has 6 96w bulbs for a total output of 576 watts: 4 daylight and 2 actinic bulbs and 6 moon lights itt was 2 months old..I paid $200.00.

As far as this light goes thats an amazing deal because I just checked Dr. Foster Smiths web site and that same light is on SALE right now for $662.99. So yeah I would say you got a good deal.

As for the protein skimmer I would recommend it and I am sure alot of other people would do the same because it just helps get rid of all kinds of different junk that gets through the sump. Also you might want to look into getting a chiller for your tank, because you really dont want your tank fluctuating in degrees to much cause that leads to TROUBLE. Just try and keep your tank at a steady temperature, mine is usually at 78-79F.

Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start, you might be able to get away w/o a skimmer for a while, but eventually you'll probably want one. The overflow contraption will work (or it will if it is what I think it is) and as for the live rock, you're just gonna see how well it fills up your tank (people approximate around a pound per gallon, but it depends on the density of the rock and how you want your aquascape to look). With this being said I haven't had experience with tanks larger than 12 gallons, I just do my fair share of reading. Read alot, and you will find the answer to your questions. Hope that kind of helps.

Archived