inTank Media Baskets

Critique my set-up

Mmorse

Ok, here it is, I have a 20g high tank with a custom built canopy with 2x55 watt pc's from ah supply. For a substrate I plan on using fine grained sand, and seeding the sand with live sand.(how much would do the trick?) I plan on getting 10lbs of live rock and another 10lbs of base rock to put under the live rock. Also thinking of using some old dried up live rock from a former tank of long ago;) I will be purchasing 2 maxi-jet powerheads but not til later, until I start putting corals in. Right now I will be using an 802 powerhead also from an old tank. I would like to run this tank filterless and skimmerless but if anybody has some strong advice not to then I will have to re-think that one. dont know what corals I plan on keeping or the fish for that matter but would love to hear any suggestions. Also I am confused about the whole top thing. Can I put a glass top on or something to cover the tank so the lights are not exposed to the water? I was told that a glass top was a good idea with a sump but not without it because of the whole gas exchange.

Thanks for all the help

I'd get all the PHs now and not wait until the corals. No problem running filterless, but a skimmer can help in a couple areas - 1) gas exchange 2) more lee-way in terms of water quality.

As far as glass tops - its a give and take. From the positives, 1) less crap gets in your tank from the air, 2) less evaporation and 3) helps prevents jumpers.

On the negative - 1) less gas exchange and 2) less light.

If you do get a skimmer, it takes care of the gas exchange problem of the top.

- Ed

Archived