ReefCleaners.org

someone answer this quick question

grink dude

i bought a peppermint shrimp to eat aiptasia, but he is constantly in the big cave in the middle, which is completely covered, so i can't see him. I want a cleaner shrimp, but if it is just gonna hide, should i really get it, if i can't see it?

DementedLullaby

My fire cleaner shrimp is just as active as my skunk cleaner shrimp. Cleaners don't hide for long. Maybe a few days.

try a perfect shrimp size cave that you can easily see into and plenty of other hiding spots and i dont think he will hide for too long. the cleaner will actually wanna be visible to attract some drive through clean up customers. fire shrimp just happen to usually be less outgoing cleaners than skunks (pepermints can actually be very agressive cleaners too). peppermint shrimp dont usually eat aptasia (reeftales). joe's juice does kill it though (quite impressively and fun i add)

my peppermint has got some of the aiptasia actually. so you are saying that cleaner shrimp don't like to hide, and they like to stay out in the open?

They are not shy at all in my experience. A little too bold actually, making it difficult to spot feed etc. They will jump on your hand, eat food out of your finger tips. and drive you mad at times too :P . Just last night I witnessed one "cleaning" my Yellow Watchman, very cool to see!

Fire/blood shrimp are deep water species and so therefore like to stay in the dark more (I have had one that was friendly, but my latest is shy). Skunk cleaner shrimp are more outgoing (give him time to acclimate), will usually only hide when they're molting. With peppermint shrimp, it's hit or miss- some hide and some will clean your hands when you put them in the tank.

Steel

my peppermint shrimp only become active at night - otherwise they just hide all day under rocks or in the chaeto. The peps have eaten my aptasia (or at least it's dissapeared since I added them to the tank) My skunk cleaner in my other tank is always out and about during the day and hides at night.

ok so i am now 90% sure that i am gonna get a skunk cleaner, my only worry is that i wouldn't see it, but if you guys say they are always out, then i will get one

ok so i am now 90% sure that i am gonna get a skunk cleaner, my only worry is that i wouldn't see it, but if you guys say they are always out, then i will get one

My skunk cleaner was always out in the open....even cleaned my hand if it ever went into the tank :lol: .... the Blood Shrimp i had for awhile only came out at night or when i dangled some food in front of him ....hopefully this will help

Archived