Coral Vue Hydros

WOW... just WOW clams up on site.

Dave ESPI

Just thought I'd give yall a shout out fer one of our sponsors.... these are awesome.

As much as I HATE clams... I drooled.

Justphish.

he da man.

above%20left.jpg

yeah they fer sale.

hit his site.

Originally posted by tinyreef

absolutely gorgeous! B)  

but i'm wondering what that substrate is? ???  interesting black?!

Looks like an ashtray.

My maxima is doing superb. maybe it's time to add a litte green or gold to the mix.

it is black Onyx Puka puka rock. It is from Carib sea and they get it from volcanic silt in the ocean off of Hawaii.

I haven't messed with it much, but it seems fairly inert.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

it is black Onyx Puka puka rock. It is from Carib sea and they get it from volcanic silt in the ocean off of Hawaii.

seachem packages onyx sand and gravel (too). supposed to be rich in iron (=good for freshy plants)

technoshaman

Wow, nice clams.

On the sand I have one tank with black sand. It's not all that. Unless you want to clean it regularly it will look ugly in a few months. Cleaners help some but it still shows all the crud easily.

the substrate does show off the various colors very well. a great display tank. makes you want to hang a mirror over the top of the tank so you can always see that angle. kewl!

i'll say it again, that's one gorgeous display! B) if i had a reactor now i'd go for clams again because of that one pic!

Hey folks, yeah that's some of the clams I got in. The sand is the Carib sea tahitian moon or something like that. The base is 100 lbs of the ESV fine grade sand since southdown isn't back in season yet around here.

I used 60lbs of the carib sea sand but the clams get all kooky when I take pictures and throw that stuff up everywhere so it got mixed pretty well. As the stock thins out I'll put more of the black sand since I really like the look.

This pic will give you a better idea of what's in there but there's still a lot of clams that I can't fit into the pic.

clam%20bin%202.jpg

Thanks for the kudos!

Man, if you made chowder from those guys it would look like Lucky Charms cereal.

Are they in a metal tub? I thought metals were bad for invertibrates? It looks galvanized. Is that why its OK? Am I totally wrong?

Please give me just a tiny bit of credit. I would not invest thousands of dollars in clams as well as hooking it up to my system and putting my corals and inverts in jeopardy by using a metal tub. The tank is a rubbermiad stock tank.

HTH

Archived