ReefCleaners.org

One more just starting out

lostdog

This week I've been getting everything ready to go for my 10g. I've ordered a JBJ 19" 2x36W Desktop Formosa PC hood which should arrive next week. I've also ordered the "Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater (www.tbsalterwater.com), so the first part will arrive on Saturday.

I'm using Red Sea Salt, and also bought a Aquarium Pharm SW master test kit.

Currently the tank is just sitting there waiting with the Aquaclear 201 powerhead mixing the water. Also I have a Penguin mini HOB with no media, and a Visitherm heater. Can't wait to get my shipment on Saturday!

So I checked with Southwest Air Cargo at 11am regarding my shipment of live rock/sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and they said it should be available for pickup by noon. Got there and they said it wasn't on the flight, and being that the cargo left Tampa last night for Baltimore, then Chicago, then finally Seattle, it could be anywhere. The person I talked to didn't seem to have a way to figure out where the package ended up!!! (Don't they have a tracking system?!)

I called Tampa Bay Saltwater to see what their policy is on this, and talked to a guy named Mike (I think) who said that the boxes are packaged to last 3 days, and if when I receive them there is a problem, then they will remedy it. So how do I know if my live sand and live rock have problems which would warrent a remedy?

I can't wait to get started on this, and now I have to wait longer! Mike was saying there is a good chance it'll come in on a later flight today since there are still several more incoming flights, but I want it now!!! Oh well, patience is a virtue, right?

SeaMountain

Hey there lost pooch! ;)

I can only imagine YOUR frustrations!

I too was only nano-seconds away from dropping a few bucks with TampaBay. But the several times I called, I rec'd no answer!

Then at the last minute I was given LiveAquaria.com as a 'recommended' LR source. I placed my order early Thursday morning by phone, and my stuff was FedEx-ed out on the same day at 5pm from CA. It arrived in our little Wyoming mountain town by 10:30am Friday, the very next day.

It was trackable during the whole trip. I knew where it was. What time it got there and what time it left up until the knock on my office door! :D

I hope your stuff arrives soon! What TBSW LR I've seen has looked pretty nice - I would have some too - I just couldn't get through to them.

But hey! I DO have LR in my tank now tho! ;)

Good luck to you.

When you fianlly get it in, post some pic's and tell us about it. I'm sure it's good stuff too. B)

I'm now trying to figure out who at Southwest Air hates me... It didn't come in on the obvious alternate flights, and so unless it comes in within the next 2 hours, I'm going to have to wait until at least tomorrow.

That must suck. Having an empty aquarium and nothing in it. I can't belive that Southwest airlines doesn't have some tracking system, and why it went all around the country. I was looking at their site and figured it would be good for me to get some stuff from them since I work for another airline cargo (I could just go home from work with it.) But now I am having second thoughts.

Hope Southwest finds your shipment in time for it to still be good.

:(

Just wanted to give a quick update! Southwest called me, and they got my package in, so I got my 2 year old daughter out of bed (just put her to bed 30 minutes prior) and raced to the airport.

Right off the bat, when I opened up the bag with the rock, I saw a couple brittle or serpent stars on the plastic bag. I also saw a few crabs, but they must've been crushed in shipping. After getting the sand and rock in the tank, I saw a few wormlike things moving in the sand, and a few of the barnacles on the rock were moving. I put the stars in, and they went off. One under a piece of rock, the other to the back side of the tank.

I am quite pleased with this, and can't wait to get my next shipment after the tank cycles. The rock is covered with many colors; white, yellow, orange, purple, etc. Let's just hope I don't have a mantis shrimp in here (I did see what might have been a molted shell).

Let's see if I can get an image attached. If I can, this first shot is of the entire tank, just after I put the rock in. I have since moved things around a bit.

This shows the size of the red starfish (and shows off the left side of the tank). The little red spot on the left of the picture is the red starfish in the previous pic.

SeaMountain

Nice rock... Now I wish that goober at TBS would have picked up the phone! I must be the only one without a hitchhiker! :P

I did notice a small label jammed in a cranny... It said... Hmmm... wait a minute... OMG!!!! Made in China? :woot:

Seamountain, there is still hope. The only reason I knew I had two brittle starfish is because they were clinging to the plastic bag instead of the rock. Since putting them in the tank, they've "run away" to hide and I haven't seen them since. For all I know, I've got 100 starfish in there, but they're all hiding. I'm sure you've got something good, and in time it'll make it's presence known. Good luck! If you really want TB Saltwater livestock, the simple solution is to set up a second reef tank! :P

You could definitely have a million starfish and never know it. My sand sifter stays buried so deep I can't find him most of the time and I only see him when he goes sailing across the glass to get to another corner of the tank!

Yeah, as I was saying in another post. A good portion of the life in your tank is completely hidden. I didn't know about ANY of the bristleworms in my 55 gallon tank substrate until I tore the tank down. My lord soooo many worms.

John

Archived