inTank Media Baskets

Starting 2.5g pico, need opion 'bout light

Pinoy_Fish_Dude

Pinoy_Fish_Dude

Hey guys, I need your help with picking the ligthing set up I will use in my 2.5g pico. I basically have three options. The first option is to build my own using two coralife 20 watt 50/50 bulbs, a reflector, sockets and a power cord. The second option to buy a 2 x 18w PC Retro Kit from nanotuners.com and a reflector. The third and final option is to go and just get the 12" Aqualight 2-18w that has everything from the reflector all the way to the housing and power cord. Price is somewhat of an issue, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for something that would work the best.

I have 2x13 watt combos from ahsupply on my 2.5 aga. They have done great. I have no quams with them. They are bright enough to keep my all of my corals and my clam happy. I decided to not add a metal reflector, I used the aluminium tape that is used for the mylar insulation. I also used a small project box from radio shack to house the ballast. The complete light setup "bulbs, sockets, ballast, box, and wire" only cost me $40.00. One great thing is that they never have caused any heat problems

Pinoy_Fish_Dude

Yeah I'm thinking of getting the 2 X 18w retro kit. But should i go with 2 50/50 bulbs or go with one 10000k daylight bulb and an actinic blue bulb?

Yeah I'm thinking of getting the 2 X 18w retro kit. But should i go with 2 50/50 bulbs or go with one 10000k daylight bulb and an actinic blue bulb?

If you go with the 10k and actnic you can stagger the light times to simulate dusk dawn and nighttime.

If you want to keep it nice and simple use the 50/50 :)

I use the 20w 50/50 in my 2.5

if you want to go really cheap, you can get the perfecto incandescent hood for picos and just put a single 20w coralife screw in it. it would cost you just under $20. nice bang for the buck :)

Archived