Coral Vue Hydros

Name that invertebrate

peachhardy

hey guys,

New to the site my friend Jordon sent me hear. I have a 30 gal with copper band, a clown, and 2 dams. I have had my tank for a good 3 1/2 months now and I am a little new hobby. The girl at my LFS said that i should be ok with the lighting I have. My lighting is a coral sun actinic 420. Thats all i have for my lighting is this ok?

I bought anemone tonight a my lfs he about the size of a half dollar if not a little bigger here are my pictures.

Its really sunken into my live rock, is that normal.

also my clown hasent gone any where near it. Whats that about?

salt_1_003.JPG

salt_1_005.JPG

that anemone is from the atlantic and their are no clowns in the atlantic... it is not a natural host... it isnt unheard of but its not likely that your clown will go in it...

also what type of light is your fixture? How many watts?

20inch long 29g ???

dont you mean a 30" long 29g? I have never heard of a 20" 29g....

the only tank i know of that is 20" is a 10g.....and a 15g. High

is this maybe a 29g. Bowfront? who is the maker of this tank?

i bought it from my friend its 20'' long, 20'' high 16 inch deep

i think he said it was a custom

here is a pic i just snapped the anemone is sunk into the live rock. i check my levels everything is fine.

salt_tank.JPG

i would at least go with a 20" 150w metal halide then.

how much do they run $$ and where do i find them? How long will he last till i get the right lighting.

Do i have any other choice? I knew i got talked into it! :angry:

you can bring the anemone back (call and check with the store)..

or you can order a light... if the tank is indeed 20" long then to save some money i would suggest builing up your rocks as high as possible and get a Coralife Aqualight 96w Power Compact unit.. you can order it offline at

www.bigalsonline.com

ill look for a direct link to the light fixture

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...6700kquad96watt

that bulb isnt the best coloration but it will deffinatly work....

when you say your water is fine.. what are the exact levels??

ph 8.0

ammonia 0-0.25 ppm

nitrite 0 ppm

nitrate 0.2ppm

phosphate 0 ppm

do you think it will make it through the night. What do you use so it wont sting you will a latex glove be OK or is that not good for my water?

I have a condy hosting a maroon clownfish. Just give it some time. Took mine a while. And yes, you definitely need to upgrade the lighting. I have a 175w mh retro and a 15w coralsun. Works well.

EDIT: It is normal for a condy to find a nice hole or crevice in the live rock to settle in.

i've never heard of a clown hosting a condy but i guess anything is possible. condys are supposed to be very aggressive so i would wear a rubber glove. if you happen to be allergic to anemones and are stung, you will hate life. i don't know about using hospital latex gloves as they have cornstarch on them but i see people use dishwashing ones with no problem.

with the condy, the guy at my LFS (who is extemely experienced, marine bio guy) told me that condys release a certain nutrient into the water that makes it impossible for a pacific species to co-habitate. so if and when you get rid of it, it might take a while (the guy said up to six months, but you've only had it in there a little while) for the nutrient to clear from the water. i hear running carbon helps shorten the time.

it looks like you're using a HOB filter. it's hard to tell from the picture but it might not be providing adequate filtration (looks kind of small) and definitely not adequate flow. in addition to the HOB, consider a maxi 900 pump or bigger in your tank for added flow, your anemone (and the rest of the life in your tank) will need it.

as for the lights, not enough for an anemone. your tank looks pretty deep and, although anemones can move to where they see fit, you need more lights. when you say it's 15w i assume that means it's a single flourescent tube. CF put out 3x more light than singles and you'd probably need around 96w or so for the light to really hit the bottom. metal halides would be best but they're pretty expensive. you're probably looking at about 200 bucks or so if you search for a good deal for a 150w fixture. prices for a 150w fixture at my LFS are about 400 !!!

you need more live rock

good luck and keep asking if you need help

first off i can't thank you guys enough, this is my first tank and i have learnd alot about saltwater.

As far as the condy went, I took it back to the store along with a light I bought, in hope to try and keep him alive. I am not experienced enough nor, have the money to buy the right equipment to house a anemones.

When I first got into the hobby I thought small and build your way up, little did I know that's the exact opposite of what to do. so 55 gal tank from my friend. I have made the decision that I'm not experienced enough to have a 30 gal tank. I am going to make the 30 gal a hospital tank and start up the 55 gal tank and make a transfer. I feel that the 55 will suit the copper band and my clown a lot better and I could add 1 or 2 more fish along with it.

As far as my 55 gallon goes i just have the tank and the stand. I need a good amount of help on that.

my first question is, What kind of filter do I need for this. The only form filtration to get my nitrogen cycle that i know of, is live rock for my biological filtration. I was think wet dry because then my nitrogen cycle would be done in a days time. would i still need live rock with this or what would you suggest.

Right now its going to be a FO tank in the future I might get the light to house invertebrates.

I guess I just want to plan everything out before I get started I think that is the thing to do. What am i going to be expecting, what things am i going to need to have a good tank, what things should i look up and study that some of you guys did. all these answers would be great and help me out tons thanks so much for all the help so far.

I am not literate i know a good amount and i know i will be able to take car of 55 gal i have taken care of my 30 gal for 4 months now and my levels have never spiked or nothing has never went out of whack. I know with the 55 there will be less void.

Thanks again everyone

thanks,

Peach

Your decision to do what is right for your animals reflects on you as a person. it's a good reflection.

I'm not sure about Filtration for large reefs, i'll let someone else handle that.

MAKE SURE you use Live Rock. It will increase your success a lot.

Archived