Cultivated Reef

Frag tank plans need some help on this guys

the frag master

the frag master

Ok Im thinking about having my buddy at the local glass shop make me a custom tank. he will be using starfire scraps to build me a "L" shaped tank. due to space limitations the shape of the tank cannot be altered. Im going to run some power compacts over the tank as this is going to be a zoanthid only prop tank, thats all i feel like propigating.

as for water flow, a closed loop drilled by the store with a mag drive pump going into 3 returns. for filtration, i think ill jsut run 2 internal filters at each end with carbon. Live rock and live sand are definatley going to be used.

only snails, pepermint shrimp, and my pair of clowns will be the inhabitants. might not keep the clowns though. i will not use egg crate because this will be a short (height wise) tank, maybe 8 inches tall. i will do a few egg crate shelves for the zoos like ppe, and my AOG's (dont ask for a frag cause it is growing in my display until it reaches 50 polyps lol). I plan to run 2x65 pc on both sides of the tank. I plan to have a small area cordined off for cheato growth (this will be done with acrylic that is drilled and added into the tank to form a barrier, or by using 5 $3 suction cup soap dish'es on the back wall throughout the tank. any help on this would be great, oh i forgot to mention the starfire is free caus eits scraps and i have all the equipment.

mahi mahi boy

I have a 20 long, which is now my prop tank, which is my first tank. I have a 96W PC and I was told if I want to keep the colors in the zoos I need to go MH. So that's where I'm heading now. As for filtration you might want to use LR rubble for space concerns and a HOB for water polishing......

Good luck propn' buddy.

Check out this thread, the propagator gives the recipe for success.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99267

the frag master
I have a 20 long, which is now my prop tank, which is my first tank. I have a 96W PC and I was told if I want to keep the colors in the zoos I need to go MH. So that's where I'm heading now. As for filtration you might want to use LR rubble for space concerns and a HOB for water polishing......

Good luck propn' buddy.

Check out this thread, the propagator gives the recipe for success.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99267

thank you very much. ill look around to see what all i can do for this its stil a work in progress. hey prop wil you chime in and help me out a little please

the frag master
thank you very much. ill look around to see what all i can do for this its stil a work in progress. hey prop wil you chime in and help me out a little please

ok i have my design ready now. the tank will be an L shaped and i have got my measurements hurrah. now i got to scketch it out for you guys to see. please give constructive criticism. the tank is going to fit into the only available space in my room. this is the only place i can have a frag tank in the house. Thanks for the help and I also need ideas for water movement (what powerheads should i get? hob filters to get and the likes. pc's and vhos are the lights im goingto use because i have them aleady.

tank_scketch.bmp

the frag master
ok i have my design ready now. the tank will be an L shaped and i have got my measurements hurrah. now i got to scketch it out for you guys to see. please give constructive criticism. the tank is going to fit into the only available space in my room. this is the only place i can have a frag tank in the house. Thanks for the help and I also need ideas for water movement (what powerheads should i get? hob filters to get and the likes. pc's and vhos are the lights im goingto use because i have them aleady.

i have decided to forgo the closed loop due to monetary restrictions. it also isnt worth it IMHO to do this. now i just need some help on the egg crate layout. anyone care to chime in on that for me? also, ill have a mixture of Mh and Pc over this tank thanks to my friend who is selling off his entire reef and is giving me the backup Mh ballasts and bulbs he has, 70 watts each and he has 4 of them so 2 per section with pc bulbs running alongside them. works out perfectly no? thanks for any help you can give and what would the reprocussions be if i also grew lethers and mushies in this tank too? i got tons of them in my display and would liek to frag em out for the local reef club.

the frag master
i have decided to forgo the closed loop due to monetary restrictions. it also isnt worth it IMHO to do this. now i just need some help on the egg crate layout. anyone care to chime in on that for me? also, ill have a mixture of Mh and Pc over this tank thanks to my friend who is selling off his entire reef and is giving me the backup Mh ballasts and bulbs he has, 70 watts each and he has 4 of them so 2 per section with pc bulbs running alongside them. works out perfectly no? thanks for any help you can give and what would the reprocussions be if i also grew lethers and mushies in this tank too? i got tons of them in my display and would liek to frag em out for the local reef club.

ok more changes. i have decided, why have an L shaped tank when i can have 2 tank the size i want for the corals i want. here is an u-pdated drawing of my frag tank plans. this should be perfect. questions, comments, and i really wish the propagator would chime in and help me out.

tank_scketch_2.bmp

the frag master
starphire on a prop tank?

yea about that i forgot that idea. i've scratched it and will be doing regular glass. he had some scraps of starfire but it wasnt what i needed. anyone else got ideas?

the frag master
if it was free...

*edit- nevermind then... beat my post with a real answer

ok here is the stand. the green lines are the 2 shelves i will be using inside ofthe stand. please help me get started,. what wood should i use for thestand. first tiem building a stand so plz help where you can.

stand_scketc.bmp

the frag master
ok here is the stand. the green lines are the 2 shelves i will be using inside ofthe stand. please help me get started,. what wood should i use for thestand. first tiem building a stand so plz help where you can.

bumping up need some help on this please anyone????

mahi mahi boy

The frame will bear a load, so you'll need to have load bearing joints like this. Let the wood take the stress and not the screws, if you know what I mean...

2x4wk0.gif

2 x 4's are cheap. Cover up the frame w/ cheap plywood and put some nice tile over it.... that would look nice.

the frag master
The frame will bear a load, so you'll need to have load bearing joints like this. Let the wood take the stress and not the screws, if you know what I mean...

2x4wk0.gif

2 x 4's are cheap. Cover up the frame w/ cheap plywood and put some nice tile over it.... that would look nice.

yea thats what i was thinking about doing. all i need to do now is get a design for doros and inside shelving, can you help me on that one guys? its the shelving inside thats goona tough.

I have a 96W PC and I was told if I want to keep the colors in the zoos I need to go MH.

Were you losing color in them? I have had my zoas color up great under the 2x24w pc lighting in my nano. I dont believe that halides are the only way to keep colors in zoas. Any other opinions?

the frag master
Were you losing color in them? I have had my zoas color up great under the 2x24w pc lighting in my nano. I dont believe that halides are the only way to keep colors in zoas. Any other opinions?

i keep my zoos under halides and pc's and inotice no difference between colros. now im planning to start this this week so i need some advice on theinternal shelving and the doors.

the frag master
i keep my zoos under halides and pc's and inotice no difference between colros. now im planning to start this this week so i need some advice on theinternal shelving and the doors.

well just an update. the stupid glass shops wont use scraps even though they have them and can do it. they want $400 for regular glass to do the tank. **** NO Ill jsut use my 15 long as my frag tank for now. its not like i got 600 frags of acropora . Its all zoos and shrooms and softies, some montipora capricornis too. this sucks i was really looking forward to this. Well Ill be setting it up really soon, pics to come this weekend. can anyone show me a good way to do 3 tiers of frag racks in this tank?

Archived