inTank Media Baskets

70w metal halide questions

mxpro32

im thinking about getting my girlfriend a 70w metal halide system for her tank for her birthday but im not sure if it would be too hot for her abs plastic hood. currently she is running the 65w lights of america light that is really close to the plastic and it is fine. how far from the plastic would the bulb have to be so that it wouldnt melt? there is a good size cooling fan blowing directly on the bulb in the hood. also where can you get a complete 70w system for the cheapest? thanks

toastednano.jpg

HTH.

seriously, i wouldn't do it.

if...

1. plastic around the attached portion melts

2. socket and bulb fall in salty water

3. fire

yeah those 70 watters are NOT good.

I got one recently. it is too yellow in color, and got WICKED HOT, even with a fan in a hood.

I think the technology needs to be researched more. as the 70 Watter in question is a HQI double pole light right?

not a mogul style base.

post a link to the one you are talking about, si I don't misquote myself.

do they make a single ended metal halide setup? i was looking at the aqualine AB 10k bulb. but i dont want to have a fire hazard. i was just thinking that 70w might not get much hotter than 65w of flourescent.

i was asking for general advice about 70w halides, including which one to get and where to get it. the hellolights setup that deskjockey linked to is one i was considering. what do you guys think of that setup?

Archived