inTank Media Baskets

true or false perc pair?

rig

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between purchasing a true perc pair or a false perc pair, and I'm having a lot of trouble making the choice. I've tried to find information comparing/contrasting the two, but the only differences I've come up with are that the false percs are hardier and the true percs grow to have some black bands outlying the white. Is it true that false percs are hardier? Are there any other differences? Is one better suited for a smaller/larger aquarium? (They are going in a 7g nano) Are there any personality differences? Well, thanks a lot for any info regarding these fish, and any pictures/personal stories you have of them would be great to see/hear about. Thanks.

-Todd

False percs (Ocellaris) stay a little smaller and would be more suitable for a 7g (which is pretty small - think of upgrading to a 10g?).

Well from eveything Ive learned and seen Ocelleris are hardier, can be less aggressive, are one of the easiest to rear, and can spawn in a small tank. BTW they too have black outyling the white stripes.

Perculas are not as hardy but still easy. They tend to need better water quality. They are the smallest of all clowns (Adult max 2.5"....Clownfishes Joyce Wilkerson), cost more then ocellaris, and can be more aggressive towards other tank mates but not always, and often have better color.

I personally like the look of ocellaris clowns over perculas. You can find some really nice colored ocelleris if you try. Mine have better color then the average ocelleris. The color is dark towards the top and lightens towards the bottom.

Remember each fish can always be different so dont expect an ocellaris to be gentle, it could turn out to be an ass. Not sure if I helped much. Heres a pic of my two Marge & Homer =)

If you want something more exotic, you can also find black and white ocellaris clowns. Well, they're mostly black and white ... there's some variation -- some have yellow on their extremities. I got a couple here in Toronto for $20CDN each (about $14US). Also, from my understanding, most of them are captive bred.

If you poke through ReefCentral, you can find pics of 'em.

Archived