Top Shelf Aquatics

pink Nudibranch

Jared

i picked a light purple one up at the lfs one day. got home looked him up in my book and found out they are very toxic. just about all of them. out of the tank he went (i won't mention where).

i was mad that the lfs sold him to me without saying anything - but, then again, i should have been more responsible and researched before hand.

here, got this off reefpedia.com

Just a quick warning. All nudibranchs are carnivorous. They may eat anything from coral to anemones to bryozoans, etc, but the are all carnivorous, no nudibranch can live off plant or algae matter. However, there are some animals that are similar to nudibranchs that are herbivorous, such as those animals belonging to the order Sacoglossa (which are almost always green in color) or the order Anapsidea (Aplysia, or sea hare). My recomendation: if it isn't green, don't even consider putting it in your tank, even if you hear its "reef safe". Chances are, your nudibranch is "reef-safe" because it doesn't eat an animal commonly found in reef tanks, which means you will only starve the animal and it will die. Another caution to consider is that often when nudibranchs die, they release toxins into the water. If you need more information on nudibranchs, see the site http://www.seaslugforum.net, it's a wonderful site.

DementedLullaby

Did you even read KMP's post? It isn't reef safe. I think those eat sponges and will slowly die because you don't have enough to sustain them. Do yourself a favor and leave them at the LFS :).

Archived