Innovative Marine Aquariums

anemone recommendations for 12g dx with lots of zoas?

reefdan

does anyone think it is really possible to have a healthy 12g dx with a BTA and a bunch of zoas? i heard they get about a foot wide fairly quick and move and sting.

i am upping the lights from the stock 48 to 96 PC.

if not, anyone have any recommendations on a good coral for them to host? i'd like to keep my growing zoa collection intact and well.

does anyone think it is really possible to have a healthy 12g dx with a BTA and a bunch of zoas? i heard they get about a foot wide fairly quick and move and sting.

i am upping the lights from the stock 48 to 96 PC.

if not, anyone have any recommendations on a good coral for them to host? i'd like to keep my growing zoa collection intact and well.

They do get large and can sting other corals. Zoanthids are also pretty powerful, alleopathically speaking, and can affect the health of a BTA. In a tank with such a small water volume, I think it's probably a bad idea.

I assume you're asking about clowns hosting. They've been known to host mushrooms (although you should avoid predatory elephant ear mushrooms), leathers, frogspawn or hammer corals (I think it would have to be a big specimen to avoid being too harassed, maybe too big for a 12). My oscellaris don't seem to be hosting anything, even though I've got a largish BTA in with them. You never know.

Getting BTA for our clowns to host is really nice but we gotta think about our tank can support it. Under the right lighting and water condition it can grow and start stinging its neighbours. Remember u cannont put it anywhere u want it will move around ur tank til it finds a nice spot. Plus some clowns may not even host in the bta, jus the way some clowns are. Just me 0.02.

go with the zoo's. Like fish said, anems get big. and plus, they wont ever stay where you want em. i bet if it were my tank, and my luck, it would get huge and stay right on the front glass, covering my view. lol

but... definatly go with the zoo's instead, and ive seen clowns host a ricordea before. maybe that would be the route to go?

thanks everyone, i think you're right. a BTA would be too much and too risky. now i just have to find a nice frogspawn or hammer for them to host. clowns are so dumb -it's funny some people say they host mag floats. my buddy has a pair in his tank and they constantly try to swim through the glass

Archived