Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help... Common Hermit Crabs

SirHelm

Hey Guys... I foolishly purchased 2 medium hermit crabs for my 30 gallon reef tank. They are about 3". I currently have a bunch of small red legged and blue legged crabs, snails, 1 blue damsel and 1 royal gramma. I have not put in any corals or anenomes. I am planning on getting some gobies and a clown.

Do these large hermits have to go??

Thanks

SH

Bucket o Chum

Yes! The large hermits that you have are probably dardanus. If you're going to keep them you can just kiss those fish good bye!

Sigh... I thought so...

Well I can't return then until this weekend.. so I hope the fish can hide out until then.

Thanks

SH

BustytheSnowMaam

Wait! What do they look like? I have one in my ten that is huge- in a shell about 7" across, and he does just fine- never harmed anything in my tank. Mine has brown and white stripes, and its Latin name is Clibanarius Vittatus- it is of the same equal-handed genus as the blue-leg crabs.

The only disadvantage to mine is that he is so large, he does bump into corals and cause them to close up briefly as he moves around the tank. Otherwise, he's fine, and fun to watch.

Tasha

Hey tash,

There are 2 of them..

they are both in shells that are about 5-6" in size... they are about 3-4 inches.

1st one is all red and has large black "hairs" on his legs. He seems pretty skittish.

2nd one is green and he is very aggressive. He doesn't have any hairs as far as I can tell. Tonight I had to pull him off a smaller hermit crab as he was trying to pull him out of the smaller shell.

I have purchased a smaller 10 gallon tank and will be making this a crab tank. THese guys are going to go in it pretty darn soon.

According to Dr. Fosters website these guys are common hermits which are not reef safe. I wish I could post a pic.. but no digital camera.

If you have any links I could compare these crabs to it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

SH

BustytheSnowMaam

Hmm...I'm wondering now if maybe they should go back to the store!

Check out this link:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/...hermitcrabs.htm

Pics aren't the greatest, but should help you identify them and decide.

Good luck-

Tasha

PS- I have a "reef-safe" zebra hermit that I would not recommend for a tank- is very aggressive toward smaller crabs. I think they're also referred to as Hawaiin hermits.

Bucket o Chum

The hairy one is a species of dardanus. The other one might be petrochirus sp. or parugus sp. all of the above are not safe! I saw one at my LFS's petting zoo disembowel starfish and one plucked an urchin of its spines!

Hey thanks for the link!

The red one is Dardanus megistos and the other one is the exact same looking as the common hermit at the dr fosters website.

yeah they gotta go..... hopefully tonight...

sigh..

BTW i currently am feeding them tetra catfish pellets. They love them and it keeps them occupied for a while and satisfies their appetites so they don't attack my poor fishes!!

Thanks for all of your help

SH

Archived