inTank Media Baskets

Looking for an alternative to DT's?

LiQuiD

BioPlankton by Liquid Life is some serious shiznit. It comes in a nice bottle with a pump sprayer. Their website is at www.Liquidlifeusa.com if it is up again (I had trouble getting to it earlier). Anyway, look it up, ask your LFS etc. This stuff is great for your nano-jokes.

I ordered some of this in the last time I picked up my stock of DT's and I have been using both. So far I gotta say the stuff is a huge PITA. It doesn't spray out of the bottle corectly and gets everywhere. Makes dosing difficult when it comes out in sputters, rarely exiting the bottle in one nice squirt as the dosing indications say. I usually have to spray the hell out of it and then stick my hands in front of a powerhead to get the stuff off my hands.

On that note, I have another bottle unopened if anyone wants to buy it and form their own opinion.

If you are having problems with the pump you can use a dropper. Most droppers will fit right on the bottle. You can find them at art stores or probably a pharmacy. And be very careful when dosing. If you are already having algae problems do not use it until it has cleared. But when you start dosing dont be surprised if it comes back in full force!

printerdown01

Have not tried it yet, but it is a lot more concentrated than DT's (and has an impressive shelf life). You don't need much! Do the directions say 1 squirt for every 10 or 20 gallons? It isn't much, that's for sure! I have heard of people spraying a peice of glass, and then dunking the sheet of glass in the nano so that they could control the dossing (i.e. only use 1/2 the spray). There is another VERY possitive thing about this product and that is that it feeds a wide variety of filter feeders. Consumer of phyto plankton usually take specific cell sizes. This product has a wider variety of algae species (DT's only has one if I am not mistake) so that a wider variety of filter feeders can actually consume it. I feed my tank 1/2 the recommended dossage of DT's so I would probably start with 1/4 the recommended dossage of BioPlankton...

Have not tried it as of yet but very soon. It is one pump per 30 gallons so for my 2.5 it would be roughly one tenth of a squirt (I would delete it in 10 ml. of water and then eye drop in 1 ml. doses, my 12's would get 3 etc.). Yes, the shelf life is 12 months and not bad at all. You are correct with the micron sizes, which is one of the main reasons I want it. They try to steer away from the "one cell type fits all" approach as other guys do. The 3 main algaes and sizes it contains are as follows:

Algae name and % Cell Type Size in Microns Billions per ml.

33% Tetraselmis Green Flagellate 8-16 1.7

33%Nanno-chloropsis Green Algae 2-4 76

33% T-Isochrysis Golden Algae 5-6 8.6

The stuff really is far superior then any other product I have seen to date in my opinion. I am not too concerened about screwing up and ending up with cyano or an algae outbreak, I dose on average like 5 drops of the other green water per day in a 2.5 that I couldn't get algae to grow in if I wanted it to. One major point is the variety of filter feeders that I keep and the multiple types and sizes really apeals to me.

was there a thread on V8 juice here? 'search' doesn't accept less than three letters. X)

the peeps at about.com seem to have mixed results with that. i suspect a secret ingredient in the success stories. i can't find tangster's (on that forum) receipe but i remember the comments were very good. i thought it was V8 and something or similar in makeup. i think the preservatives were the issue, not sure.

printerdown01

Totally agree with ya... I really want to give this stuff a shot too. I like the idea of diluting it, and I will probably mimic your idea when I try it on my tank. I have my priorties with $ though. After payday, I am going to try to complete a trade with JAG that I have been promising for some time. Then I will spend the $ for liquidlife (as I am out of DT's ;) ). BTW, Liquid I am p*ssed at you!! You may have just cost me a LOT of $$! After seeing your 2.5 I am thinking about taking down my 12 and setting up a 2.5 and a 5 in its place... Thanks a lot :P Beautiful tank by the way!

p.s. I don't know if the LiquidLifeUSA site EVER worked. I sware I have tried it over and over since late September with no success! -I kid you not...

Maybe when they are where I'd like them to be I'll take some pictures of both my 12 gallon nano's (eclipse's bowed acrylic and rectangle glass) and you can keep it up. My 12's are nowhere near as well kept or as full as my desk tank but the reason being is I am always by my desk and the 2 12's are in areas of my house that I don't frequent as much. The thing is this, I am racking my brain trying to see if I can add more to the 2.5 and I think it is basically filled to capacity, the 12 (mainly just the one since the other 12 is more a fish only with LR) have 5 times the space to continue playing with and keep the fun going at the same time. Get a 2.5 for your second tank to throw frags into but deffinetly keep a bigger one around.

I have never actually seen the site either. I typed it from a brochure of theirs I have. I nobody has any luck looking the stuff up or finding anything on this product, I will scann and post the brochure if need be. You could also call them at 909-280-9145, or if you are near Corona, Ca, you could stop in at 872 Homestead Rd. and ask them what the deal with the website is.

I threw in a picture of one of my 12's for kicks, you wont be disapointed with a 12, this one is on a bookshelf in my livingroom.

printerdown01

no no... I HAVE a 12 with a 2.5 fuge LOL. Looks great (dispite the fact that it has basically been neglected for a while). I just want to create a smaller tank for kicks. Setting up a new tank is always fun! Thank for the inspiration.

Archived