Coral Vue Hydros

Which size tank?

bdr127

I will be moving soon, so I will be breaking down my 90g tank at some point.... However, I won't be able to live without a reef ;) so I thought that I would move some of my LR, corals, clownfish, sand, etc. into a smaller tank and establish a nanoreef. I feel as though this would be more managable during a move.

So my question is which tank is better for a nanoreef: 15g standard or 15g high? I know that for lighting purposes, the standard is probably better because it's not as deep. Is there one tank that just "looks better" with a reef inside? I would probably use PC lighting, so is there a certain tank size that is better suited to bulb sizes? Any experience here is greatly appreciated.

I have not seen too many nanoreefs, and although I did a good search on this website, I was hoping to get some feedback. I probably want to stay around the 15g size, but if there is a different size that is even better, either slightly larger or smaller, then please let me know. (BTW, if you have any tips for moving stuff from the big tank to the small tank, let me know, too!) :) Thanks a lot.

--Brad

I will got for a 15 standard. There is more overall length and width for nice rock stacking and IMO more room for coral. !5 talls IMO kinda are too cramped and don't offer as much room for coral.

If you'd be willing to got to a 20 gallon standard I'd go that route. A little more room and if you'd like to keep a lot from your 90 you'll need a little more room.

Cameron

i currently have a 15high and love it....lighting is limited and it is the samesize as a 10 gal so bassically 2x36w is the beft for overall fit but 2x55 would work as well just hangng ove the edge about 1.5 inches on either side...its not that much deaper than the standard and i liked the hight because i gave me a chance for a DSB without lossing swimming roomfor my fish....and some will say that a DSB dosent work in a nano but i see the color and the gass exchage going on so i feel it is working.....i am adding more rock this weekend and will try to have a pic latter next week....keep us posted on your tank

Thanks for the input....

I think I'm going to go with the 15g High and use a DSB like The Unit discussed. I have some extra aragonite sand hanging around, so I can use that... plus I have plenty (i.e. 200 lbs) of very live sand from my 90g to seed the nano's DSB!

I just ordered the 2x36W kit from ahsupply.com and got a 10KK bulb and an actinic bulb from hellolights.com. From what a read, those give a really nice white-blue color.

Just a difference of opinion.

I'd go for the 15g standard. In fact I did.

The standard offers a little more length & width, which you'll appreciate once you start to set up your rock, etc & it lets you take better advantage of whatever lighting you choose.

Finally, if you are doing small, frequent water changes you won't need a deep sand bed. You'll be exporting all your excess nitrate through water changes.

In the end, whetever you get, just enjoy it & have fun.

Ike

I used to have a 15 H set up with seahorses but if i was to do it again i would go with 15 standard for a reef for the sole purpose of it being easier to put in more light. But then again a 15 high can have a 6 inch dsb and still have 12 inches water column.

Archived