Top Shelf Aquatics

How long till life?

hondasi831

I was just wondering about how long will it take till i start to see something going on in my lil tank i put about 11 lbs fiji live rock and about 20 lbs of live sand in it today i was told the rock was about 90% cured also what will be some of the first things i see this is my first reef tank

From my previous reefing experience, it took a few months for hitchiking life to really bloom. Let's see, I had some neat macro algae, copepods, a big crab (never id'ed but I imagine the culprit in some missing fish), a couple nudibranches, sponges and porites. Oh and so much damned coralline algae everything in the tank was covered in pink encrusting algae except the front display glass. :)

John

duckhuntboy

There was life all over my rock the day after I put it in the tank. It just depends on the quality of your live rock. I've seen some really ######ty dead rock at some LFS's. If it's really brown and dead looking, chances are it might be a while. You may need to just look closer too. There are so much going on in your tank that you need a close eye to see.

I just got my rock about a week ago...already I have found some sort of crap, several bristle worms, some little shrimp, a bunch of small feather dusters, and its just loaded with coraline algea.

My tank has been going since 2/8 and I just noticed a small anemone today. I had small feather dusters from about the first week, but nothing other than that till now.

so far i have found a bunch of pods i think about 8 feather dusters but they are way to small to say for sure what they are and i think some aptasia (sp) but im not sure thats is what they are or not

Sounds like you're well on your way. :) Some of the stuff I saw in my 55 gallon reef I didn't notice until 6 months to a year later. And when I tore the reef down about two years after the tank was started, I found HUGE bristle worms (scary huge) in the substrate. And the sand was only a half an inch thick. Hehe...

There are things growing in your tank right now that you'll probably never see. :)

John

> There are things growing in your tank right now that you'll probably never see.

And that's one of the wonderful things about this hobby. I've only got half my live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and it's fascinating me to no end. Once the other half arrives (with more corals, etc. on it) I'm going to be glued to it just waiting for something new to look at. Of course, I still need to figure out what some of the stuff on my current rock is.

Archived