Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20g High Setups Post Here!

ddooltl

Hi!

I'd like your ideas on how to set up my 20g High. Hopefully a simple setup that's easy on the budget (although I know in reality that's not true!: ) I'm new to saltwater but have experience with a 20g Long FW tank. ***Please post your specs and/or pics of your 20g Highs.

Also of concern is my lighting. It's the standard 15W flourescent strip light. Since I'm considering corals (probably just your beginner hardy type), I'll probably have to upgrade. My current hood though is the black plastic with just that one glass panel where the strip light sits on. Could I retrofit that one strip for enough light? That is...until I get enough confidence to try a DIY canopy!

Thanks.

:happy:

My 20H is set up as follows:

35 lbs. mixed live rock

25 lbs. of live sand

2 microjet powerheads

Aquaclear 200, sponge only

CPR bak pak skimmer

65 watt smartlite

2 15 watt NO lights (1 actinic, 1 10000K)

My setup was pretty inexpensive as far as reefs go. I'd say around $200 but I had everything but the smartlite and the skimmer. I would trash the plastic hood immediately and get glass hoods. That way you can at least pile on as many light strips as possible. With the setup I have all I really keep are mushrooms and colony polyps and two clowns. I really love it though. Sorry no pics for you until I get my new camera.

Originally posted by gullmo

My 20H is set up as follows:

I would trash the plastic hood immediately and get glass hoods. That way you can at least pile on as many light strips as possible.  

I don't have a reef tank as of yet (I am still in the research phase). Your comment was brought up in one of the LFS I went to earlier in the week. It seemed reasonable to do but wasn't quite sure. I asked another member of the sales staff and he didn't mention anything about it. Has anyone else done this? I have been thinking doing it just until I save up for the better lights.

My 20H consists of:

2x55 Pcs 10000K & actinic

25-30# live rock

5 in. sand bed

2 micro jets

2 rio 90s

75 watt heater

CPR Bak Pak

3 gal fuge

18watt pc 50/50 for fuge

livestock:

5 astreas, 3 nassaus, 3 bumblebees, 3 ceriths, 1 queen conch

1 red hermit, 1 tiny emerald crab

1 fire shrimp

1 pair false percs

1 pearly jawfish

bubble coral

toadstool leather

GSP

Yellow polyps

Green branching hammer

Read and green open brain

asstd zoos

Its been up for a little over 8 months, so far so good. Any questions on pecific equipment or livestock, just let me know.

If you have the cash, an easy solution is to buy a full power compact canopy or a MH/PC pendant. A pendant is a light that hangs over the tank instead of sitting on the tank like a canopy.

Also, you may want to look into clamp-on PC lighting.

John

Hey threeman. I in fact am piling the lights on right now. I have the smartlite and the two NO lights all in seperate fixtures sitting on top of my glass hoods. Of course it used to be rather unsightly until I built a canopy to hide it all. I'm not sure why a set up like this would ever cause any problems unless the weight of the lights cracked the glass. Otherwise, it is a really an inexpensive way to get at much light as possible. Just be sure you match your livestock with the amount and type of lighting you have.

Brian I have a question for you about the jawfish. I was hoping to get one for my empty ten gallon as the lone inhabitant besides a few janitors and some lr. Would I really need anything besides a few inch deep sandbed? I was going to mix southdown and crushed coral substrate. In your opinion is a ten gal. large enough? Thanks!

Pete

My 20H is still in the making (waiting for canopy to finish, then it's all done) but this is what I have so far...

-custom stand to hold 10g sump

-mag5 pump

-30# of oolitc aragonite

-2 1/2 inch bulkheads for returns

-1 inch bulkhead for drain

-1/2inch locline for nozzles

-2x55w pc 10000k/actinic retrofit which will eventually go in my canopy

-overflow gonna order this week

i plan on getting around 30 pounds of tonga live rock when it's time.

Archived