Pod Your Reef

Check out my 8gal Bow Front.

rza007

yea i think they are just "test fish" im gonna do that with my tank when i get it in about a little after cycling im gonna put 3 green chromis in my tank as test pilots lol good luck and i like the racks and tank,Chris

TEST FISH!

Im sorry if harsh words will offend anybody here....

BUT WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???????

if you wanna do some test.. dont buy a reef tank....

go buy a hamster cage or something....

bye

good luck

mike

(Edited by Stryf3 at 12:00 pm on April 30, 2002)

hehe.    was your mom a damselfish or something?

I can understand if you're a tree-hugger and don't want to hurt any animals, but guppies are fish too!  

I think all they are saying is that they are their first salt water fish.   I knew my water parameters were fine when I started, but you never REALLY know until things live and thrive in your tank.

BYE

YOU TOO...lol...

you dont need to use a fish to test a tank.....you need to buy a test kit and test for ammonia, trates, and trites. if you keep you water parameters stable and well....keep it up for a month.....then get a fish that you would like to have in there.....not as a test!.... lets say that you buy fish as a test...after that..then what......get rid of the fish? and buy the one that you actually want...

its okay tho...i understand....i was the same way when i started.... "DUMB" lol

i never wanted to listen...and do things my way.....

people come here to learn..and i understand..but the problem is....i have seen you here making some post..asking questions...bla..bla...bla....but you still dont know what your talking about.....sorry that i cant help you...bye

"but you never REALLY know until things live and thrive in your tank. "

you have a reef tank..but you dont pay attention...DUUHH...of course you should see signs of life in a reef tank. if you dont see any...would it be reasonable to put a fish in there?

(Edited by Stryf3 at 11:31 am on April 30, 2002)

I think I have to side with Stryf3 on this too. There is no need to use any fish to test out with when your tank is only three weeks old.

I just setup my 7 gal. bow front and the LR came straight from the LFS's big tank. They claimed it had been in there for almost five weeks but that doesn't mean I might not have to cycle it first.

The FIRST things I will add to my tank once I'm satisfied on the water params and LR cycle, will be a small clean-up crew including some hermit crabs and snails of some type. If I can keep my crew happy and they look like they are doing well and water quality is still good then maybe I will consider getting a fish (would like two but in 7 gallons, that might be pushing my luck).

Otherwise, it just seems wasteful to throw in a fish of any kind during a startup period of a new reef tank before you have established confidence and skills in keeping such a small reef tank. I hope you do well.

minigeek...i dont think it would would help them....

as you can see with the term "TEST FISH"

they are putting it in there to see if it will die....

maybe its a lil mis-communication here...its just because the term "TEST FISH" is bothering me....

if you would of said...ill use a fish to cycle my tank and bring it back to LFS..maybe i would of been more prompt and said...hey buddy, you dont need to do that :)....

but "TEST FISH"...that sounds like...hey im gonna test my tank...if he doesnt die...ill put him on my other new tank....and if it still doesnt die....im gonna flush him.....

OH WELL

Im all for saving and preserving the environment but remember when everyone used damsels to cycle their tanks and also check to see if they would live. I know alot of people on this site did that at one point, at least the veterans to the hobby did. I know im guilty of doing such thing.  

Maybe Styf3 doesn't remember that because he just started the hobby. Give the guy a break maybe he just used the wrong terminology. Although he might be a little ignorant becuase he's a rookie I think his intentions are good.

Relax and have fun.

of course ace....we all know that.... people did used fishes to cycle their tank...specially fish only tanks....

but then how many of them also realized not to do that anymore with reef tanks?

i admit i too have used fishes to cycle my tanks. even back when i had FW tanks....but whatever i put in there is what stays in there.....and i make sure that they do......

so you have fun now

just for the record - your so called veterans of the hobby ...most used prawns from grocery stores to cycle their tank, and test kits were soooo expensive back then...LOL and fish is cheaper....

(Edited by Stryf3 at 1:36 pm on April 30, 2002)

but anywayz...this is rza007's thread to show off his tank....LOL....

nice tank btw :) post more pics of the light and updates

have fun

(Edited by Stryf3 at 1:24 pm on April 30, 2002)

Quote: i have seen you here making some post..asking questions...bla..bla...bla....but you still dont know what your talking about.....sorry that i cant help you...bye

So when you bought your first ever salt water fish, you were so positive you could keep it alive just because of your water parameters that you skipped damsels and went straight to moorish idols I suppose.

also, quit saying "BYE" and leave already

oh yeah...  what about the GUPPIES!!!!!!!!!  they're fish too.        hypocrite.  

(Edited by Korbin at 2:18 pm on April 30, 2002)

I WILL NEVER WIN WITH YOU.....you know why....

cuz you dont know jack schitt

bye ..bye...bye....and i give up....so no more replies please

by test fish i mean like a fish on the cheap side($2-$4) just to get  the tank cycled and make ure that fish will survive and it does not necessarcerraly mean it will die sorry if i offende you but you dont have to rip my f***n head off im new to the hobby and am not familiar with the "correct terms dont be so freakn toucky next time,Chris :)

cjm,

Personally, I think you have learned tons from this site and from all the other posters here so I'm sure you'll do well.

rza007, we would love to all see more pics and details about your new setup. cjm and I were both planning on setting up a 7 gal. bow front. I finally got mine running this last weekend and cjm is going to have to go with a bigger tank(thanks to an LFS feeding BS to his dad) but it is always interesting to see how many different ways somebody can setup this versatile tank.

Keep us all updated on your progress!

rza007- Welcome! Sorry your post seems to have been hijacked! :(

Tell us more about your tank. Your rock work looks good! Is this your first saltwater tank?

Thanks all,  More pics soon to come also.  This is my first sw setup, Ive wanted one since I was little. I finally have one now, not to mention Im also in the process of another 20g high nano. <~  will post pics also

The tank:

8 gal bowfront with a prizm skimmer (no filters) 50w heater. For the power head im using one of those pond fountain motors and it works awesome. For lighting I have a 32w pc and an extra upgraded 13w is on its way in the mail. : )    

• 2 weeks later...

mini geek i have decided to keep a 28 gal bow front (well i didnt choose my dad made me get the bigger tank because the guy at the lfs said so) i am hopefully getting a 7 gal next year key word is HOPEFULLY lol,Chris:)

Archived