inTank Media Baskets

Please help w/blue xenia!

pico1

I got a piece of blue xenia in a trade and it has become unattached! It is very small when closed, about 1/8"-1/4" I am afraid it will disappear in the current. Can I glue the base of it to a rock or will this hurt it? Even in a small container with rubble on the bottom it is tumbling around. TIA

Hmm, dont trust me cause im new at fragging, but i THINK (remember im new!!!)) you can glue it... i just did some more of my zoo's... and im sitting here grinding my teeth!!

i would think its to slimey... i would fill a glass cup w/ rock rubble and drop the Xenia in there.. put the cup in a low flow area.. in a few days your Xenia will be attached and if you feel the need you can glue that rock onto another rock

hth

i would think its to slimey... i would fill a glass cup w/ rock rubble and drop the Xenia in there.. put the cup in a low flow area.. in a few days your Xenia will be attached and if you feel the need you can glue that rock onto another rock

hth

Yeah that sounds good, also try to handle it as little as possible. Glue will definatly not work. And post some pics!!

You can glue it. I've been fragging xenia for more than two years now, and I glued it for probably the first year and a half. Super glue works best, but the salt can eat away the glue, so you have to be careful.

Here's how to do it:

remove the xenia from the tank, blot the stalk dry with a towel (paper towel, or small washcloth). Try to get as much slime off the surface to be glued. It can be done, but will require a little patience. Keep your hand mostly damp so that the xenia doesn't dry out. Put a dab of super glue on a dry rock. Stuff must be dry or else glue won't work. Put the xenia stalk in the glue. Blow on it a few times to heat the glue up so it sets. Put it in the tank. Putting it in a small container is a good idea so that it won't get blown around a whole bunch. Too much current can weaken the glue bond, and the xenia will come back off. I used to have about a 25% failure rate just gluing and putting the rock back in the tank.

I currently use a little fishing line to tie the stalk to the rock. I find that it gives a better hold, with a lower failure rate. Also doesn't require the blotting/drying process. Just put the xenia on the rock, wrap fishing line around a few times so that the xenia is secured to the rock, and tie a knot. Doesn't matter what kind as long as it won't come undone. Either method works.

Be fast, don't leave the coral out of the water longer than necessary, and don't neglect it. Put it in a calmer part of the tank where it won't get buffeted by current. Good luck!

Archived