Pod Your Reef

water test results questions and ansers to all your questoins...

Iphantom

My clown fish is dead!!!! I just went to do the water tests and I found him dead he was alive last night but I havent looked at the tank all day...he is very thin and has very faded color...the royal gramma appears perfectly healthy what do you think caused this?

should I get another one right away? or should I wait until this whole cyno problem is over?

Im not sure but this may throw off the test results

here they are anyways

Water test results:

SG in bettween 24 and 25

PH:8.2

Ammonia:Non-detectible

Nitrate:Non-detectible

my questions

how do I harvest macro algae?I have one big piece already

How do I care for hermit crabs?

edying asked:

What's the color spectrum on your lighting? Also what the photoperiod

while you're battling this plague

one blue and one white my lights have been 12 hours on 12 off

but I will be cutting it down as of today I am going to have

one day with out light and increse it to 5 hours for the next week

and see what happens

lizbeth asked:

Is that front left piece all one hunk?

Yep there are 3 big hunks in there one on the right one on the left and one on top of the one the right and they are super condensed thats why its about 25lbs of live rock

hey Mnesarchus

do a search on Kazza or another P2P program for

Artist:Mr.Lif

Album:Iphantom

or

Artist:Mr.Lif

Album:Emergency rations

then look for anyone else from Def Jux records!

-oh and thanks everyone

I am going to take your advice (exept for the chemical stuff-that will be a last reasort)

It is possible your fish had an internal parasite or something along those lines. If the other fish seem ok I'd feel good in that assumption.

I'd get the cyano issue gone before I add fish BUT you can do it if you'd like to.

Cropping macro is easy......basically, I cut all strings at a 45....try to get a descent fistfull clump......

hermit crabs really don't need any care.....as long as there is grunge to eat and rock to pick at they are cool.

Cameron

I'd hold off on getting any new fish until you get the tank settled down. Fish, as opposed to corals and most other inverts, generate a lot of waste and could compound your algae problems.

I'm guessing your salinity is 1.024 and not 24 ppm so that should be fine along with your ammonia and nitrates. You may also want to check Calcium and alk along with phosphates.

I'd recommend getting CA and Alk test kits. For phosphates, you should be able to take a sample to the LFS and get them to test it for you (you may want to test your tap in addition to the tank water).

Some of the other things still hold true: Be sure of your water source - RO/DI is probably the best for our applications.

-Ed

Archived