ReefCleaners.org

Shrimp with parasite....

ilektrik22

Hey

So i was all excited today and went to the LFS and picked up some hermits and pepermint shrimp for my clean up crew....

once I got home and started the acclimation process I realized that one of my shrimp has a parasite or Female Epicaridean isopod, ( did some super fast researching, unfortunatly didn't get a great look at the shrimps before the guy bagged them....so now I understand why the bags aren't clear...)

So should I add him to my tank? I can't get the the LFS till tomorrow and I doubt that they will do anything about it ( I need to find a better fish store)

is this a big deal this isopod thingy or should i just let it be?

my dog ate my camera so I can't show a pic. but there is one at this link

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

thanks

im brave, id probably cut it off the shrimp w/ a pair of surgical sissors or a scalple

careful not to pull it off!! its attached to the gills!

maybe just cut it in half to kill it...

good luck...you cant medicate your shrimp!

Do not add it to your tank. If you feel brave you might be able to take it off of the shrimp, but I recommend just adding some tank water to the bag occasionally this evening and then returning the shrimp to the store tomorrow.

(same response in your other post)

D

Hey

So i was all excited today and went to the LFS and picked up some hermits and pepermint shrimp for my clean up crew....

once I got home and started the acclimation process I realized that one of my shrimp has a parasite or Female Epicaridean isopod, ( did some super fast researching, unfortunatly didn't get a great look at the shrimps before the guy bagged them....so now I understand why the bags aren't clear...)

So should I add him to my tank? I can't get the the LFS till tomorrow and I doubt that they will do anything about it ( I need to find a better fish store)

is this a big deal this isopod thingy or should i just let it be?

my dog ate my camera so I can't show a pic. but there is one at this link

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

thanks

"If you notice one of these animals in your tank, and it leaves the fish, there is almost nothing that may be done to catch it. They are very fast and quite capable of avoiding a net. And if it is a pregnant female (and remember, all female isopods have brood pouches), and the brood hatches, you have REAL problems. There are only three courses of action in this situation; and I truly am not jesting about these responses. The first is to remove all the fish from the tank and wait the two or three months until you are certain that all the isopods have died from starvation. The second solution is to effectively nuke the tank. Remove all live rock and discard it as the isopods may hide in it and, as some of the isopods bury in the sand, you should also remove and discard the sand."

The above quotation is from the AA article you linked.

DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR TANK

So by the time I read the responses I had already put it in my tank.

Took apart all the rock work ( quick little guys) and bagged him, left it floating in the refugium ( hoping that the bag has no leaks) and off to the fish store he goes later today. ( they did say they would take him back)

So i guess I now have to watch to see if the parasite did have time to lay eggs in my tank...i really hope not :(

( oh I belive this isopod one only hosts on shrimps, not fish)

Archived