Cultivated Reef

Has Anyone Used This Yet???

LakerFan

I was going trough the Coralife website and I found this new bulb with a built in ballast. I was just wondering if anyone has used this before? I figured it would be easy to do a DIY hood for a nano. I just want to know how much heat it produces and how much the actual bulb is.

54110-Mini-50-50.gif

Info from Coralife:

Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamps

The Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamps are designed to be used where space is limited and powerful lighting is desred. Fits into standard, medium-base lamps sockets

ColorMax® is ideal for freshwater aquariums

50/50™ is perfect for fresh and salwater aquariums(50% 10,000K Daylight and 50% Actinic 03 blue)

Self-ballasted

Low operating temperature

6,000 hour life

Christopher Marks

I wonder how much that will sell for...if it's cheap it could have some DIY'er potential. Heck, all you need is a socket and power cord. I wonder about the heat output though. Maybe you can be our giunea pig?

hey guys-

i saw this bulb (10W) at my normally overpriced LFS and they had it marked 13.79! i thought that sounded like a smokin deal-and i honestly would expect to see it for a lot cheaper elsewhere. i'm actually concerned it was an error as they're rather inept. guess we'll see?

tg

I just order the colormax for a freshwater- they were only 7.99 at Big Als.

This looked like a good option for a old 10 gallon that I am setting up as a planted tank. I'll let you know how it works. I am guessing that the colomax mini tends to the reds like the regular colormax bulbs. Too bad there doesn't seem to be 10kish mini compacts out there. The All glass is like 6k.

MINI COMPACT 50/50 BULB 10 W.(Coralife) $8.99

MINI COMPACT COLORMAX BULB 10 W.(Coralife) $7.99

AG MINI COMPACT FLUORESCENT BULB(ALLGLASS) $7.99

So has someone used these things yet?

I think it's rivaling the bookworms if there are no heat problems. Although, it will take 4 of these to equal 3 bookworms and you don't get the reflector and sealed tube.

So here's the question: these thingys or bookworms for a low light 10ga? I figure 3 bookworms (~$60) vs 4 of these (~$12 for sockets, $2 for wire, $36+SH for bulbs = Total of $50)

What do you guys think...I'm leaning toward bookworms.....

Yeah Beast!

Thats what I was thinkin'! I'll probably go with the bookworms since I can get the reflector and sealed tube with them.

I'm using similar bulbs on my freshwater planted. I made a simple enclosure with rain gutter. Its loosing a bit of light but I don't need it for that tank. For more info http://mondo.home.insightbb.com

If only they made these with a higher wattage for not much more. It'd be too expensive for anything larger than maybe a 7 gallon.

Archived