Cultivated Reef

Just tested glacier water for copper

FamousGuy

I tested my 5g that i've been using glacier water in with the fastest copper kit and the results were barely readable, i had to look at it from all angles and it looked clear but once in awhile i barely caught a hint of yellow.  That could have been caused by the test chemicals because they were brown to start with (the second chemical you add clears the brown up).  Anyways should i not add my 5 pounds of live rock from my 5g into my 20g to be safe?  Its so caked with coralline i'd hate to toss it.  Nothing in the 5 seems ill(emerald crab, hermits, d*mn aiptapsia, feather dusters), the only death i ever had was a shrimp that wasn't acclimated properly and a couple snails that had the same problem when i first got it.  Thanks

That sounds like a zero reading to me.  Your tanks are going to have traces of copper no matter what you do.  You just want to avoid toxic levels.  FWIW, I ran a reef using Glacier water for almost two years with no problems whatsoever.  I wouldn't worry about it.

"update"

Kape, i tested again an hour later and this time the water was even more clear, i think its just the chemicals slightly clouding the water.  You can barely seen it, even in bright sunlight

I like my copper test SHAKEN not STIRRED.....

Perhaps time fer a new test kit?

Coraline is more sensitive to bare aptmosphere than copper anyways. As long as the coraline is not bleaching due  to exposure, copper wont affect it any way. Coraline is NOT an invert. it is a calcium based alga.

It needs Light, Magnezium, Ca, and arbonate cardness ( or DKH of 10 + for those "dopes out there)

lol J/K

hold the vial against a white sheet in a white light setting.  ooo, how i hate those test kits!

if you're worried still add some poly-filters media to whatever filter you're running and they'll remove it.

Archived