Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sexy shrimp picking/eating zoas?

reeefermadness

reeefermadness

I picked up a few sexys and a couple of them are hanging out on a colony of zoas, they seem to be picking/eating it, and the colony has not opened since... has anyone heard of sexy shrimp pickin/eating zoas?

YES KILL THOSE LITTLE BASTARDS!!! Get a turkey baster now!

Search the past threads---mine ate acro and zoas----they were fine for months---and POW!!

Get rid of them!!!

I had three and they were fine for 6-8 months. Suddenly they started plucking zoanthids and my acros---especially a green slimer and a Purple Pillow acro---got hammered. They actually started to chisel into the ends of the acro.

If you search past threads on sexies you will hear other intermittent horror stories. Some are good---some are not. Supposedly they are related to the camel shrimp or something......

KILL THEM!!!

er1c_the_reefer

sexy shrimp are anemone shrimps and in the wild they eat the mucus off the host. zoanthids are closely related to anemones, so sexy shrimp have been known to host zoanthids, which isn't natural. as for sps, i think they're just being punk as**s. =\

reeefermadness

yeah i did a search and found what you told me. thats too bad, these guys are pretty cute. they are only bothering one colony, which is a pretty crappy frag anyway, if they move on to the better stuff, they are gonna have to go.

has anyone else had problems with SPS? what about clams?

maybe i need to start a 2.5 pico for them... blah

I've had three of them in my 24DX for over a year and they haven't killed anything. They spend alot of time on my Zoas, Rics, Galaxy and SPS but not on the Xenias, Candy Canes or Shrooms...just seem to be cleaning. The only time it looks like they're attacking/killing something is when its already dead (two of them on my last cleaner shrimp), just like bristle worms, bumble bee snails and crabs do.....they're just cleaning up.

Just my observation......

Archived