Cultivated Reef

Greg's first Nano

Greg333

This is my first nano-reef. It is 15 gallons and run by an Eclipse 1 hood. I put a CSL 32watt power compact retro kit in it. I have a Rio 50 for circulation, approx. 15lbs. of live rock from my 75 gallon tank and 5lbs of sand. I had some algae problems at first but it has been running for 3 months now with no problems. I have star and button poylps and Xenia that I fraged from my large tank. I also have a brain coral. A puffer fish along with 3 snails and 5 hermits completes the livestock. I plan on setting up another tank soon. Thanks for checking out my tank. Any questions or comments are welcomed. I am always open to learning new things. gperez@setx.quik.com nano%20003.jpg

(Edited by Greg333 at 1:18 pm on May 24, 2002)

Looks great!  I personally don't care for the branch-type liverock and I think your tank would look cooler without it, but thats just my opinion.  The tank is very clean looking.

Is that one of those puffers that they usually sell as brackish-water fish?  

My Alife 7

Nice looking tank Greg, I'd suggest you add more liverock to the tank. If possible, around 25 to 30 lbs. would be good. Also, I don't know how your circulation is but I personally use two Rio90's in my 7 gallon tank.

quiksilver5768

Hey,

That looks like either a spotted or figure 8 puffer. Im pretty sure that they aren't reef safe since all puffers like to eat inverterbrates...? I would also like to know your acclimation procedure and how fast it took to totally adfapt it to saltwater...Nice clean tank by the way! :)

Great looking tank!!!!

Is that a green spotted puffer fish? I love those fish! However...You might REALLY, and I mean really wana watch him around your corals! Those things will eat anything...They have actually been known to kill a parahna!  I have had one of those puffers eat through a 3 Inch mussels shell before... I have seen a 2" GS Puffer complety devour a 3" Pleco, I really love those fish and have kept them for years... Some times they behave, Sometimes they dont...Also, That fishes staple diet is snails...And further, I had a puffer that ate a HUGE crab once...First it ate all the legs...Then it came back and finished off everything...even some of the shell!!!!!! To combat this though, Just keep him WELL fed and they are very messy eaters as I am sure your probably aware of.... I am not trying to tell you that setup wont work, Just to be careful with it and hopefully that particular puffer will have a mild temper!

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. In regards to the puffer, he has not messed with any corals or inverts, I keep him well fed with freeze dried plankton, bloodworms and squid.  He will even eat out of my hand. To answer the question about acculmating the puffer, I just threw him in !! If I put another Rio 50 in the tank do think it would be to much circulation for the corals??

It's not too much circulation unless your corals look like they're weathering a hurricane.

I am interested about the puffer.  Your LFS was selling it as a SW fish?  As mentioned above, they're generally considered to be a mid-brackish fish.  Tank looks great!

My LFS was selling it as a brackish fish. I got it home and due to my limited experience at the time I just put him directly into the saltwater tank. I guess I got lucky on the puffer living through the transfer.

quiksilver5768

I wouldnt be surprised...puffers, both saltwater and freshwater/brackish, are very hardy. It probably took the puffer about 10 min to get adjusted and then it was happy again. lol :)

I like the tank shape.

It could do with a little more live rock though.

I like the way its coloured too.

I love open brain corals!  I cant wait till the day I get one for my tank.

Good luck with the setup.

PS Nice tank!

Archived