Top Shelf Aquatics

29G Nano Filter Ideas...

stonepran

Wet/Dry (Minus Bioballs) already have the unit and figured use for the top filter tray and perhaps could add something to the bioball chamber?, Skimmer, and 25-30lbs LR in main tank...

Any ideas how well this will work as my filtration? Minus the bioballs will the system still function well, with the skimmer removing the nitrates?

I was also thinking of adding dead rock or live rock 1" pieces to the bioball chamber. I'm not ruling out a refuge, its just I already have the wet/dry and hate to see it go to waste.. turning this into wouldn't be easy since middle is permanent.

Thanks!

Don't use it. Just get a basic tank and use it for a sump setup. Place your skimmer in it and you could even buy a hang on fuge or something for it.

I wouldn't waste money on a wet-dry if your not going to use it as a wet-dry. Like mentioned, they are more trouble than they are worth for reefs.

Cameron

Since you stated you already have the WD laying around cut out the middle and use it as a sump, but you could sell it and buy many 10-20 gal allglass tanks for the same price. It's up to you do the DIY and throw away the WD later, or Sell it to a FO guy/gal and buy a bare tank with beer money to spare.

GL,

Toy

If I did go with a refuge, it would be 17lx12hx8deep. This will have 3 chambers.. Do you think a skimmer will still be needed? Need crystal clear water, what would you guys recommend? B)

| ReEFnEwB1E |
Originally posted by stonepran

Need crystal clear water, what would you guys recommend? B)

I find using Activated Carbon in a HOB filter did that job quite nicely. After reading several posts from the members of this board I decided to try it and it worked flawlessly. For filtration I have nothing right now and still awaiting my HOB refuge to get here. I am going to get a skimmer also but looks like I'll only be using it on occasion for polutants from corals or air.

The HOB filter with carbon really works well if you want crystal clear water. Just remember to buy PHOSPHATE free carbon like Black Diamonds.

Sorry I'm actually back tracking here, but out of my newb experience.. but would a simple 10gal sump ( No REFUGE ) and a skimmer work effectively? I'd plan to have 25-30lbs of LR in the main tank of Fiji.

I guess it would be putting the main filtering on the skimmer, and using the LR in the main tank for the biological filtering?

Thanks!

| ReEFnEwB1E |

[iMO] If you have more then enough LR and a DSB then you should be fine as long as you do routine waterchanges and don't overstock or overfeed your tank.

Archived