Cultivated Reef

light questions

The Unit

i am looking at lights from PSL.com and have a few questions...i want lots of light...duh...i am looking at the 2x36w solor system....but then i look and see that they have a 2x55w system that is only 23 inches long....ok so it sitts off bothe ends by an inch and a half...i guess i couls get used to that...plus the extra light would be nice....butwouldnt a unit like that without any fan get REALLY hot??????????????????????.......even the 2x36w unit...i would think that would get hot to......can anyone tell me im wrong?...please

Your wrong! :P

They do get hot, but being that they sit up on legs about 3-4" off the water surface, you should not have any problems. The only time you run into problems is in, ENCLOSED hoods. Then, you will need fans.

Id say go with it and enjoy! But depending on what you are putting in your tank and its depth, the 2x36 should suite you just fine. Perhaps you can elaborate on your tank specs for us?

hey jugs-

you sure the solar hoods come with legs (or can be adapted with them)? if they do you'd surely be fine, if the light pretty much enclosed the tank though you might have trouble-either way (2x36 or 2x55). nothing a strategically postioned fan couldn't aleviate though. maybe you can find a good deal on the coralife hoods. you can get stands fer those and they look pretty good?

tg

those hoods from PSL.com doesnt come with legs. plus if you think about it, if the hood extends a few inches out, where are you going to be placing the legs? i m assuming you have a 10 gal. 2x36 is "enough" for that size of a tank. just place 1 pc fan in the hood and youll be fine.

wells its a 15high...so it is the base of a ten gal but has an extra six inches or so of hight...what i could do id place eggcrate to cover my tank the in two area add 3 or 4 more section of eggcrate to raise the hood an inch or two off the original eggcrate...then if need be i could place a clip on fan to the eggcrate facing the lights....

Archived