Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Pico...Tom Deco Kit 3 Gallon

romeo22

Hi All!

I just bought this online today:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F0...0/Itemdy00.aspx

Im extremely excited to get it up and running for my nephew's bedroom. I currently do not have any other tanks up and running at the moment. So, here's my question:

Since this is such a small tank, and I also have an EXCELLENT LFS close by, do you think I could go there and get LR, LS, and SW all from a fully established tank, and be able to have it established quickly, so that I can put a little goby in there soon?

Also, I am looking to eventually put somes zoo's, shrooms, rics, and xenia in there in the future. Do you think the lighting will be sufficient? Or, should I purchase a second light fixture from the same manufacturer to double the lighting?

And, what do you guys recommend for the filter media? Just whatever it comes with?

Thanks All!

Hi All!

I just bought this online today:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F0...0/Itemdy00.aspx

Im extremely excited to get it up and running for my nephew's bedroom. I currently do not have any other tanks up and running at the moment. So, here's my question:

Since this is such a small tank, and I also have an EXCELLENT LFS close by, do you think I could go there and get LR, LS, and SW all from a fully established tank, and be able to have it established quickly, so that I can put a little goby in there soon?

Also, I am looking to eventually put somes zoo's, shrooms, rics, and xenia in there in the future. Do you think the lighting will be sufficient? Or, should I purchase a second light fixture from the same manufacturer to double the lighting?

And, what do you guys recommend for the filter media? Just whatever it comes with?

Thanks All!

the lighting is gonna be more than enough......i use it on my big fuge now....

keep only one goby if you do get one......

these are still my favorite stock picotopes......

only problems you may have are

heating and cooling.....leave the lid off! get a fan and heater!

surface scumm...........weekly water changes!

circulation???? this one is iffy.....the filter definatly pushes 80 gph...but some may argue that this isnt enough

if you find a site selling TOM 18watt 50/50 fixtures let me know!! post a link!

check out www.aquariumconnection.com and type in TOM for a search. it comes up under perch lights.

any recommendations on a heater? there isn't a lid (at least I don't think), so i don't have to worry about that.

what do you recommend for filter media, and do you think my idea of going to the LFS and picking up the LR, LS, and SW will work to get it established quickly?

adding live anything will help jump start it....you will still cycle...just a fact of life

as far as media, you could stick w/ stock filter plates,

what i did....

ok it comes with 2 plates, one is ment to stay in the filter and not to be replaced...bactirea filter....i put that one in front, teeth out....

the carbon pad can be changed out, but i dont run carbon all the time, i pulled the floss off and cleaned out the carbon,

you should be left with a nylon sheet still connected to the plate...

thats all i use....that nylon should filter out most of the big chunks....wash and re use.....

or spend the 5-10 bucks to buy replacements....

i got a media bag and i fill it w/ just enough carbon to cram in the filter...you can run alot more carbon this way....

i dont know about a heater.....stay away from anything that you cant adjust....

i made a lil surface skimmer for my filter....

post-22467-1162491055_thumb.jpg

post-22467-1162491076_thumb.jpg

Awesome...Thanks SavetheEels

I probably will leave the filter setup as is for a little while...maybe gut the one carbon filled floss after a while....

What do you think about LR in this filter instead?

Or, should I just trade this filter out for an AC filter that I would have more room in? If so, which one?

My problem now is finding a heater that will work for this tank. I prefer to be able to put it in the filter box, but, dont think i'll find one to fit into this box. That might be a good reason to go with an AC.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Awesome...Thanks SavetheEels

I probably will leave the filter setup as is for a little while...maybe gut the one carbon filled floss after a while....

What do you think about LR in this filter instead?

Or, should I just trade this filter out for an AC filter that I would have more room in? If so, which one?

My problem now is finding a heater that will work for this tank. I prefer to be able to put it in the filter box, but, dont think i'll find one to fit into this box. That might be a good reason to go with an AC.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

yeah go AC if thats your plan....youll get better flow...

its just not made with that pretty clear plastic.....if only TOM made a bigger all clear plastic hob filter...

AC makes a surface skimmer attachment, however im not sure of the specs on it...it may be too long....MOD IT!!

yeah? so i dont have to worry about TOO MUCH flow?

and by putting it on, i'm going to have to get rid of the lid? correct? unless I can cut that lid with a dremel or something? what kind of attachment do i need to cut through acrylic?

non-photosynt

Could be too much flow. I have AC30 HOB power filter on 20g long tank - it's maximum that my softies and LPS can handle. And it's not big enough for a heater.

On the other hand, I had the Hydor All-Glass 6" submersible heater 50W in ~1g tank, 25W would be better. It kept temperature good, but I had to make settings not by dialing temperature, marked on control, but by thermometer - changing settings down until 79F was reached and was stable.

And setting will need to be changed in the heat of the summer vs. usual winter temperature.

I used the loose filter floss for this Red Sea nano-filter (should be smaller than yours, ~60 gph), but it would be much better to use the bonded filter pad or filter floss roll - it keeps shape and can be cut to fit.

As for setting tank fast - I do it all the time, taking live rock (cured, of course) from the bigger established tank, add 1/2 of the old water, rest - the new, corals and - done. I have bacterial culture in the refrigerator all the time, so I'm adding it too, just in case. Like Seachem Stability or any other. Monitor ammonia for the first couple of weeks, and not by Ammonia Alert ;).

Live rock should be at least 1 lb/gal, 1.5 preferably - it makes your system work.

Don't pay attention that on pictures above there were no LR at all - this was experimental setup, with 100% water changes twice a week, from another tank.

Some nice looking macroalgae - red, purple, bright green - will be good too.

Different ideas to place the heater, just out of curiosity - may be not worth troubles in your case:

Separate sump for Minibow 2.5g

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=84797&st=0

Divider inside tank - less than 1g, by brandon 429

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72558&

Separate sump for a brandy glass pico

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;p=entry

yeah? so i dont have to worry about TOO MUCH flow?

For such a little tank, I would not say bigger is better. If you want the surface area that a AC provides for a fuge or something else, get a bigger model, say a 70 or 150 and replace filter propellor. Do not get a AC 150 and put in on stock, you will have a sand storm and I do not think Zoos and Rics would enjoy that much flow.

What type of goby are you getting for the pico? I tried a small clown goby in my 2.7 but I didn't like feeding it in such a small tank, too much of a nutrient swing. Good luck!

Thanks guys

After looking around, i found this:

"The AC 70 is 8 1/2"L X 6"W X 8"H with 3 3/4" of its width behind the tank. The flow out of the box is reported to be from 100 to 300 GPH, but you can replace the impeller with one from the AC20, 30 or 50 without modification."

So my thought is to go with that, and be able to fit the heater in there as well. Which impleller should I go with, or is the 100 to 300 not too much?

I know stock I am getting roughtly 80 gph, but, since the filter box is way too small to be able to put the heater in, I'm willing to sacrifice that box for something that is more efficient. This will also increase my volume.

Hey LekicINC....I'm actually not 100% sure which fish I am going to put in there. I have a lot of options because my brother in law is moving into my in-law suite at my home, and he has a 30 gallon reef, so, i can always get something as a baby and move it into that once it starts to grow. I do know I want one of those bright red starfish though!! :P

So, if I go this route:

What impeller should i get for the AC70?

Is it hard to change out?

How do I go about cutting this plastic/acrylic lid?....Dremel?....what attachment?

VERY SMALL fish suggestions?

Thanks all

Thanks guys

How do I go about cutting this plastic/acrylic lid?....Dremel?....what attachment?

Thanks all

as far as flow....i wouldnt go any higher than 100...but that still may be too much...

you are probably gonna have to get a new impeller....which one, i cant say, gotta ask one of these guys...some guys cut blades of the stock impeller to slow it down...

i would go topless......

as far as fish go....probably gotta stick to gobys..

neons are cool, and pretty cheap....they come in blue or gold

citron gobys are 1-2'' max...so they are cool..

green clowns are ok...

only problem is, you can only have one, so pick a good one....more than one will cause problems later down the road...not to mention its cruel...how would you like to locked up in a closet for the rest of your life?

ever consider sexy shrimp?

Thanks guys

After looking around, i found this:

"The AC 70 is 8 1/2"L X 6"W X 8"H with 3 3/4" of its width behind the tank. The flow out of the box is reported to be from 100 to 300 GPH, but you can replace the impeller with one from the AC20, 30 or 50 without modification."

So my thought is to go with that, and be able to fit the heater in there as well. Which impleller should I go with, or is the 100 to 300 not too much?

I know stock I am getting roughtly 80 gph, but, since the filter box is way too small to be able to put the heater in, I'm willing to sacrifice that box for something that is more efficient. This will also increase my volume.

Hey LekicINC....I'm actually not 100% sure which fish I am going to put in there. I have a lot of options because my brother in law is moving into my in-law suite at my home, and he has a 30 gallon reef, so, i can always get something as a baby and move it into that once it starts to grow. I do know I want one of those bright red starfish though!! :P

So, if I go this route:

Thanks all

I would go with the impeller for a AC20, that gives you an adjustable flow rate of 33 to 100 gph. It is very simple to change the impeller. The AC 500 is the only one that is unique, the AC 20, 30, 50 and 70 are all interchangeable, just pop it out, pop the other in.

For the lid, I would drill holes, say 3/8" in each corner, then use and abrasive wheel to cut the straight lines (sides and back):

O O

l l

l l

Hope this makes sense...anyway best of luck.

SO I decided to stick with the stock filter. I may upgrade later.

It states that it is 80 gph. How will I know if there isn't enough flow?

I tossed the sand and LR in yesterday. The LFS was trying to sell me the bio-spira. Swore that is what he used on all his tanks. Needless to say, I left and went to another LFS :P

Temp is great (79)

Salinity 1.026

I'll check out the other readings tonight and keep you all posted. Here's the FTS.

Nothing toooo exciting yet!

Galloping Goose

Romeo22. Here is my 3g TOM MINI DECO KIT. I had it set up but couple weeks before I moved it all into my 12in cube. I loved the tank as well, but be so super careful about cleaning it. Even the smallest scratches show up on there. That drove me nuts and evantually is the reason I got the 12in cube (7g) glass tank. Here is a couple of pics, one of the 3g tom mini deco kit and the other of the 12in cube. As you can see in the pic of the 3g mini deco kit, I used a plane white sheat of paper and used it as background. This way it gave it a cleaner look. I purchased one more of the same pendant lights that came with the tom mini deco kit and Im using it on the 12in cube as you can see in the pic.

post-21695-1162853410_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162853453_thumb.jpg

Wow...now you have me wanting to switch tanks! Where can I get one of those? And what are you using for filtration?

Wow...now you have me wanting to switch tanks! Where can I get one of those? And what are you using for filtration?

Galloping Goose

Romeo22

The tank is made by ADA. The tanks they sell aren't exactly on the cheap side but the construction of them is unmatched. The silicone job on them is almost nonexistant and makes the tank rimless and very clean looking. The link to the tanks is here: http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm

After I got the 12in cube I wanted to upgrade the filter from the one that I originally used from the TOM MINI DECO KIT 3G. So after doing some homework on canister filters I decided to go with the Fluval 305 canister filter. It's not as expensive as some others, has a lots of GPH water movement, its quiet and most of all very easy to clean out. I clean mine about once a month and takes me about 15 minutes. Here is a link to some more info about the filter. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...=2004&Nty=1

Here is a pic of my tank with the filter underneath. Good luck on upgrading if you choose to do so.

post-21695-1162863749_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162863775_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1162863793_thumb.jpg

I think I'm in love!!! LOL

That is unreal. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now, but, as soon as they come back in, I'm going to be all over it. I'll also definitely go the canister route, it makes it look much cleaner. Do you have your heater in the canister, or in the tank itself? What else do you have in the canister?

Galloping Goose

Romeo22

I got my canister Fluval 305 from Petco/Petsmart cant recall which one it was, they both carrie them. Was cheaper actually cause' ya dont have to pay the shipping oposed to an online store. Bellieve it or not but no heater, and my temp stays stable. I get 77-78 through the day (lights on)and 74 in the night (lights off) The little bit of heat the canister itself produces and along with the tiny TUNZE mini pump inside the tank and the heat it produces combined with the normal temp room it comes out to perfect! And I live in CO so we did have our cold days allready. Im happy about this ofcourse because that means less equipment/clutter inside tank and looks good. The canister filter has 3 layers of trays with each layer split into 2 diferent sections giving you large 6 compartments of filter media of your choosing, rather it being liver rock rubble, ceramic rings, carbon...etc. The filter does come with ceramic rings and carbon...as this is the same set up I have kept it untill now. Seems to be working great for my residents and the water sparkiling clean. This particular filter is also very easy to maintain/clean. I am still ways away from stocking this with a bunch of other coral so I will keep pics updated as I purchase new stuff for it. Denny. Denver CO.

Archived