Cultivated Reef

Kmitch's Military Barracks Reef

KMitch

Deleted User 7

Add a wave bucket that fills up with a pump and tips to dump into the tank every 30 seconds or so. Big fun, and it's not that hard to make. It's real good for the tank too!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are a rusty reddish brown and neon green tips. Looks almost like a RBTA just with green tips. I could see how he gets confused to think they are anemonies.

ok, thanks. i have to decide between frilly mushrooms like you have or a giant "hairy" mushroom that could grow up to a foot across :P i think i made my decision ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So I got a job at a fishstore!

I might also solve the xmas break problem by seeing if they want me to move my tank there as a display tank for a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, gotta run to class but pm me if you are interest in my plans for that wave bucket!
tigah's flushing wavemaker was pretty straightforward (and reliable because of that). i really liked his design, i think he still has the video for it too.

check out the Custom entries in the pico reef contest from last year in the "special events" forum. iirc, he won the overall pico title with his setup.

setup looks great btw! B)

thanks Tiny

I built a mod for my remora (its basically a better designed skim box) but i dont like the look of it in my tank, I think when it gets back to school I might plump a fuge underneath and put my skimmer down there.

Until next time....

so how'd it fair over christmas?

I ended up taking the whole thing home to ATL. when i go back in 3 weeks i will move it back to my apartment. only 1 fish loss, but thats bc he was stupid and wedged himself in LR and didnt jump out when i pulled the rock out to alert me of his presence.

oh well, he wasnt friendly anyway.

• 1 month later...

OMG! I cant believe how long its been!

Updates: Tank had its 1 year birthday!!!

I now work at an aquarium shop so I have more trouble keeping away from the cool stuff.....

Heres some updates: My dad took my 6-line leaving me with just a tomato clown, but now I have him plus a red head pseudochromis and yellow watchman+ pistol shrimp. Also got a neon green BTA.

Pics:

Tank%201%202007%20135.jpg

Tank%201%202007%20113.jpg

Tank%201%202007%20128.jpg

Tank%201%202007%20139.jpg

kmitch

Hey K,

Nice nano, though that anemone doesn't look too happy. Hope he colors back up for ya (looks a little bleached to me). It's been awhile since I've been in bleaksburg ('03, biology) and I'm honestly surprised that the cadet folks would allow you to keep a tank! Swing by Zooquatic off of south main when you get some time and try to squeeze a deal or two out of Mike or Jonathan, great store and great folks. I hope that's the one you're working for now, C&P never had much of a coral selection, though some decent fish on occasion.

-Dan

Hey

I actually work at ZQ-- I could never work for C&P....... Jonathan is the man!

for whatever reason I cant get the anemone's true color to come out, i always over expose it. Hes plenty healthy, just my picture taking of him isnt perfect.

K

I'm so glad you don't work at C&P :D

I almost worked at Zooquatic for a bit, I was in there enough, I just lucked out and got a nice job at VBI instead. Most of my paycheck went to them anyway...had a 54 corner tank, 250w 20k AB, Euroreef something or other, and a ton o' fish/corals/etc. Sold all the stock and kept the hardware when I moved down here to Florida, that was a sad, sad day. My potter's angel was so cool and he never bothered a coral, ate like a pig and looked awesome as hell.

I'm in the process of starting back up a 20 gallon acrylic cube, 20"x20"x12", with an overflow box in the back, that same Euroreef something or other (over-skimming woo!), and a 70w 14k Aquapod light (should come in tomorrow). Been browsing NR to see what's been going on since I've been gone, what's the "new" craze in the saltwater world, and one of the first threads I saw was a VT tank. :D Good to see that there's still a bit of ocean left in the mountains.

Good luck with your tank and you're in good hands with the folks at Zooquatic, they won't steer ya wrong.

-Dan

Wow nice to see the old crowd is updating shots of their tanks -- kmitch, yours is way more impressive looking than mine are....keep up the great work!

Archived