Coral Vue Hydros

ViaAqua 18g Cubicle Tank

Goliath

Guys,

I got a few pics of my newley established cubicle reef tank. I just added the LR and now its cycle time!! Here are the specs so far:

18 Gallon ViaAqua 680 Tank

ViaAqua LV-680 Hood w/2 36 watt PC lights, 7100k daylight and 12,000k blue light

2 ViaAqua 360 Powerhead Pumps

ViaAqua Multi-skimmer HOB

ViaAqua Titanium 50watt heater

Digital Thermometer

20 LBS Figi Live Sand

26 LBS Tonga Live Rock

So far one hitchhiker snail, I added the LR to the tank last Friday the 14th.

goliath... your cublicle looks waaaay too fun. is that the rock that lizbeth helped you pick? (either way it looks good :) )

Yea, that is the rock Lizbeth helped me pick out. I have to keep my cube looking like a fun place to work so I dont loose my mind! Thanks for the compliments.

Jeremy

yeah, figured you guys would get a kick out of the cube, but if I am going to plant my ass in that cube for 8 hours a day then it better damn welll suit my needs :) Thought Nano-Reef.com on the comp would be a nice touch

LOL, I how can I forget Xavier on the clutch. Right when I was about done with my LR selections he find this perfect looking rock with a cave. Great piece and I just had to have it.

Thanks Man

I was just getting ready to ask where the photos were?

That looks great! My only question is that top piece of rock secure? Would it fit better turned 180? I remember it being pretty heavy.

We need to start our own tankscaping business. :D

that top piece is suprisingly very secure, it fits like a puzzle piece with the left rock, the back base sits against the filter tube and the right rock. Plus it has a great amount of surface area for corals to go on.

AZDesertRat

How do you like the Multiskimmer so far? It looks like its skimming pretty good in the pic. Do you think it would be too big for my Viaaqua 418W 15 gallon? Ialso am putting my tank in my office and noise is also a concern.

Lunchbucket

looks like a kick butt cubical that can make those long mondays pass faster!!

i am curious about the VA multi skimer. looks like it is foaming pretty well. can you get some pics and descriptions of the chambers and gadgets...also know anyplace you can get them online??

Lunchbucket

AZDesertRat

Lunchbucket, I e-mailed Commodity Axis and they told me Marine Depot carries them. I didn't see them on their site yet so you probably have to ask. Someone has been selling them on e-bay but they start bidding at $89 and it doesn't look like they have been selling good. After seeing them at TAT Tropical Illusions in Ventura and Thousand Oaks when I vivited Calif. I was impressed but they get $129 retail and will not mail order.

Lunchbucket

129 sounds like a rip off for that skimmmer. granted i haven't seen it in action but for that price you could get a remora which would prolly skim better IMO...that is why i am curious what they are like

Lunchbucket

Guys,

Here is the run down on the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer:

Dimentions: 17" x 12 5/8" x 6 1/8 now that sounds pretty big but the 6 1/8" wide is a little misleading. About 2 1/2 inches of the skimmer/filter hangs over the tank for the return so only about 4 inches is needed in the back to accomodate it.

The Venturi Skimmer/Mechanical & Biological filter can also hold a 5 watt UV light which is a pretty promising concept.

The Venturi skimmer is adjustable to make the bubbles wet or more dry, so far the Skimmer has been working very well, after I put the uncured LR in my tank it started to pumped out a 1/4 of hard particles into the cup every 3 days. Right now I have the Carbon filter in the chamber but I will be taking that out soon. I opted out of the UV light because I thought that was a little over kill but the feature is there if I ever want to use it.

Has Easy access to the pump for maintenance and it has seperate chambers for every area, one built in for the skimmer which then flows through the optional UV chamberwhich by the way if not used could easily be used as a very small Fuge, and finally into the Filter/overflow chamber. There was plenty of room for my Titanium 50 watt heater in the filter chamber which was very nice.

I got my HOB from TATs which was a mistake because they rip your ass off. I have seen them at The Aquatic Outlet in Chatworth for 100 bucks w/out the UV light and 130 w/UV light, and a few other places around LA Area, so they are around. Just hard to get any info off the website for these guys.

I will try and get more pics and keep you all informed on how well it works once I get the tank stocked.

Jeremy

As you can imagine, the Skimmer is very quiet, its comparable with a CPR BAKPAK skimmer. I have had not a single complaint about the tank from my co-workers if anything, people are very intrigued and excited to see whats next. I guess I cannot fail now :)

Funny to see my cube light up with a mysterious glow when the lights fire on.

Jeremy

Is it just me (or the camera) or is your sand EXTREMELY white? Love that look of pristine white sand. Though I know it won't last in a reef tank hehe. Before long, you have coralline on EVERYTHING.

So, anyway, what kind of sand did you use?

John

well as far as I know and this is wwhat it said at the LFS. It is very fine Fiji LS, its a fine mix of very white and light brown sand with small amounts of red coraline pieces mixed in.

In regards to feeding and cleaning the water at work. Its not as hard as it seems but since the tank is so new I havent had the chance to have a big feeding regiment. I do have a little fridge/freezer I can keep my foods in and I have an automatic water topoff system I bought from www.californiareefs.com which will help allot. I have a 5 gallon jug that I have for mixing the saltwater which works great. I have a small heater in the jug along with a crappy pump to circulate the water. I am going to keep my bio levels low in the tank so I will hopefully only have to do a water change once a month.

I do all my maintenance after work is over, that way most people have left and they dont look at me like I am running an Aquarium display instead of maintaining a Dot com business.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Here are some updated pics plus a couple of pics of the Via Aqua Multi-Skimmer Box.

Pic of my tank on 03/25/03

The brown algae has now been almost totally disposed of by my Margarita snails and hermit crabs. Those guys rock, this pic is a little outdated but It is the latest one I have.

BTW, the temp on the thermometer is wrong! Its really 79 F

Archived