Coral Vue Hydros

Attaching sump to a subgallon pico with curved walls

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

I have 6g nano with non-photosynthetic gorgonian and a sun coral babies (large sized food users), and a few other small-polyped non-photosynthetic coral frags, that require smaller food.

2 problems:

- heavy feeding raises nitrates weekly, have to do large water changes. Would like to reduce volume, tank is just with a few corals.

- small-polyped corals are irritated by constant bombing by large particles (cyclop-eeze). Would like to separate them for feeding by the smaller food .

So, I went to hunt for a feeding quarters, close in the size to the corals. Not for a display purposes, just for efficient feeding and maintenance. Will do 80-100% water changes weekly, for a small volume shouldn't be a problem. As for a system stability - will see, had ~1g tank with 100% water changes and now 6g with 80% WCh - was OK.

Don't like acrylic - scratches easily. The only suitable sized glass containers, that I was able to find, are high 12-cups coffee pot (for gorgonian) and brandy sniffer glass for a shorter corals.

Curved walls are good for a purpose - flow will go around all sides of the corals. Discovered this when kept 5g hexagon tank - perfect water flow.

I'm planning to attach to the each of them a sump with heater, Micro- or Mini-Jet for the flow, and turn-able on and off filtration (HOB power filter on the sump or in-sump rubbermaid chamber with filter floss, or may be 50-100 micron sock).

Any other options for turn-on, turn-off filtration? Disposable or washable (daily or every 2 days), should work at least at night.

I can't use HOB power filter on the curved walls, so it has to be on the rectangular plastic food container. The whole sump idea looks to me like this sump for 2.5g pico. Behind the tank, the same water level as a main tank.

Another option of low volume sump with heater and pump, is like brandy glass pico's plumbing.

Any other solutions for a small-volume sumps with a constant flow, but intermittent filtration? With easy access for maintenance.

I had seen coffee pot picos, but with low bioload and an internal filter. Not for a my case. :(

Suggestions?

Thanks.

non-photosynt
Drill glass & use uni-seals.

Why? What advanced functionality it gives comparing to the undrilled option, to justify risk and expenses?

There is thread with photos of the vase, used as refugium, IMO this is mostly for a hiding tubes from the view.

Archived