Top Shelf Aquatics

help me choose my fishes (illustraded)

sonic

well its time to get some nice little fishes for my tank, I'm trying to decide but its getting really difficult, i know pretty much what I can keep in my 18g but need a little help, maybe from some of you that own these fish:

tomatoe

pw_Th_69781.jpg

or pair of percs

pw_th_69560.jpg

firefish goby

pw_th_71133.jpg

flame angel

pw_Th_66258.jpg

royal gamma

pw_th_72316.jpg

Theres more but those are the ones I really like, I know the angel will get too big but I can get them now at my LFS really small then I can just put them in the 1500g tank at the office (not mine). Any input greatly appreciated, also any suggestions on other fish would be cool.

how disappointing. i read "illustrated" and i thought you were going to pull a mspaint jobbie. go with the percs. clowns are neato.... bloop. there's my vote (make a poll, goofball :D)

Well, they're all pretty nice fish.

Most people recognize that size, even adult size, is not the only issue when selecting fish for small tanks as many clowns that get quite large are fine in smaller tanks than some angels. For some reason, people don't usually consider this WITHIN a group of fishes such as the Centropyges. Flame angels seem to move around on the reef less than some of the smaller Centropyges (e.g., argi, flavicauda, auronatus, acanthops). Scott Michael actually has min. tank size for a flame at 20G and all other small Centropyges as 30G or more. Then again I have a C. argi in a 10G. So there you go.

i think a Watchman Goby and a pistol shrimp combo would be the best for your situation. the key is how much waste(fish doo n:x ) do you realy want in your tank. A Centropyge should be feed at least 2x a day to keep them from getting "courious" with your coral. Clowns are cool but I would stick to occelaris or percula(due to size restrictions and temperment) They Also need to be fed at least every other day.You should be able to find some small goby such as a multifaciatus, citron,red cap, or cleaner goby all of witch are very interesting to watch in a small tankand you only need to feed them 5 or 6 times a month. A sunburst basselet (Acsseri)would be cool they can swim upside down. the royal gramma is also cool but it shouldnt be mixed with other Basselets. Oh yeah the firefish is cool but they jump.

thanks all for the coments and suggestions. I will be getting a single firefish and then maybe in a month or two get something else. That goby and shrimp combo sounds very interesting, but don't they stirr up sand alot?

• 3 months later...

The only perc I ever had bit the hell out of me every single time I stuck my hand in the tank to do anything. It never really hurt too bad but it was annoying/startling.

lakshwadeep

But firefish can be aggresive to others of the same species. The clowns, being damselfish, may be aggresive to the firefish.

I vote for a pair of purple firefish or a pair of really small percs. Get the percs as small as possible (tank raised, too) so they will pal around, and hopefully pair up, with one taking on the role of male and the other female.

Bag the flame: excellent possibility of them picking at corals (like mine) and a nightmare to catch.

Also, if you can find a mated pair of either red-headed or green stripe gobies, they are a blast too. (you can find their pics @ liveaquaria where you found those pics). And stay nice & small.

Archived