inTank Media Baskets

Problem with bubble tip anemone

Sekker

I have had a green BTA in my tank for about 6 weeks now and it has been absolutely fine until the last few days. I have been feeding it regularly and it has visibly grown over the past few weeks. A few days ago it was not extending its tenticles on its right side. There didnt seem to be any visible marks on it and aside from looking slightly deflated I thought it was ok. When i got home from work today it had withdrawn itself right into a crevice in between the two rocks that it has positioned itself between and is about 1/4 of the size it formerly was. Nothing has changed in the tank and it has been in the same place since the first day. I am now worried that it is sick, it hasnt extended itself very much at all in the last few days and im at a loss as to what is wrong. I have not added anything to the tank that would affect it or damage it. If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be wrong I would really appreciate it.

Anemones will periodically appear to be shriveling up and dying. Sometimes this is indeed what is happening however more often than not it is just going through a cyclical pattern of deflation. An anemones weight is about 97% water. It routinely purges itself of its fluid and appears flaccid because it is expunging water. It can vary from an hour to several days for it to "reinflate" to its former self. If it hasn't moved since you placed it in the tank and its foothold is strong you should just be patient. Your water parameters look great and you said that it had been eating well. One other possibility is that it is reproducing by division. I had a BTA that split into 5 clones in about an 8 month period. Just give it time, BTA's are pretty hardy. Keep us posted on what happens.

All of what Rics said is spot on. But still, I've never had one deflate for more than a day, day and 1/2 tops. Mine really percs up after water changes, and carbon changes. It's always noticably further expanded after these. I'd try one, or both of those, after all, they can't hurt it.

it has improved a little, its not so shrivelled now but its not anything like it used to be I have increased the ammount of water changes to one every 4 days for the last 3 changes and I have added a polyfilter. Everything else in the tank is really growing fast and thriving I dont really understand whats up.

Archived