Innovative Marine Aquariums

5 Gallon madness

FUGU!!!

Hello

I was wondering what is the MAXIMUM amount of inverts for my little 5 gallon.I want a few shrooms and a couple of polups and a toadstool.I currently have a blue/green chromis that I will soon give away.I want to turn my tank in to one just made for inverts,I am hopeing to keep some of the following species:shrimp,white porcilane crabs and other crabs,hermits,sponges and maby a nudi.I currently have a 9in coralife PC system.Will this be enough for these animals including my selected corals?

Thank you-FUGU!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a little out of my expertice......9'' or 9 watt?

dont over kill...maybe 2-3 hermits, a shrimp and maybe a crab.....plus what ever corals

if it were me? not really maximum but what i'd put in there: 5 astreas, 5 blue legs, 2 red legs, 1 SMALL turbo, 15 nassarius.

and then you could always throw in a few shrimp, depending on species. only one shrimp if you get anything bigger than a peppermint shrimp. you could easily put 6 sexy shrimp, or a pair of bumblebee shrimp, or a couple of peppermints. inverts don't really affect bioload, and in the case of snails and hermits they reduce the bioload by consuming waste. with the clean up crew i suggested, you shouldn't ever see algae or detritus in your tank.

9in with 2 nine watt lights

So its not really to do with bio-load but more about space.I see,is there such thing as a turbo that will stay small? :happy:

This is my idea:3 asteras,5 bluelegs (I already have 2 red legs),2 margirita snails,1 bumbelbee snail,2 more narssarius snails,a fire shrimp (maby),a white porcilane crab or a pair,3 or 5 sexys,3 zebras,2 bumbellbee shrimp,and this goby I saw at liveaquaria.com it had gold and red stripes and only grew up to an inch. This is probably too many shrimp so probably 3 bumellbee shrimp and a bunch of sexys. here is that cool goby: red stripe goby cute little guy.Keep in mind that I live in Canada and we have limited sites to order from.I want to order to liveaquaria so badly but thay dont ship to canada.I am willing to order from any good american site that has shipping to canada.

5 gallon invert tank??

I vote for a mantis - Put whatever snails, crabs, fish, shrimp, etc you want -It won't matter cuz the mantis will have 'em for supper!

LFS has a 6 gallon nano-cube devoted to nudibranchs, and they seem to be doing alright. I think they've had it on display for more than 5 months now.

Pretty cool

Ever think about sexy shrimp?

Mantis shrimp freak me out,I dont like to be looked at by somthing smaller than my head.

Nidis are very hard to keep and thay dont live long,but thay come in some amazing colour combos and I will not rule them out for candidates:)

I like smaller animals that can group togeather (world class neon tetra breeder right here! :P'kidding') some sexys and a few bumbelbee shrimp would look very nice.

Okay here are my new plans:

-a few snails of the ones listed on original plan.(10 MAX I need some good algea eaters)

-porcilane crabs (the white ones)

-toadstool

-some softes and plolups

-a few sexys ( sexy shrimp only max out at 1/2 an inch right?)

-2 BB shrimp

-possibly a nudi(s)

-red stripe goby

-some blue legs and zebras

This new plan looks solid

Keep Kool-FUGU B)

No mantis, eh?

how about a coldwater setup - Anenomes and catalina gobies

Someone's setting up a 10g for the contest - Just do one smaller

Yeah those pederson shimp are AWESOM! If I can find them by here in the canadian market.

I live on the vancover island shore so I am tired of CW stuff.

i live in BC and J&L has those candy stripe gobys you like(there called trimma)they have them on there site as coral gobys and there 12$ they also have two other colors right now, a clear one and the one thats labeled as evotia on liveaquaria, i like them to and plan to get two or three for my 2.5 when i set it up again, they are realy cool fish but hard to find:)

^^ thanks to all of you! :)

Silence,where do you live in B.C?

It dosnt matter wheather or not its a canadian site aslong as thay ship to canada and I sont hafto pay out my a$$.Now there is a new problem.I dont have a home postal adress.I probably do have one,my neighbours have home delivered mail and I get the newspaper once in a while.But I have never ordered anything live off the net,and my LFS makes me pay out my a$$.In which I mean $50 for a 5lb bag of LS and $10 a lb for LR (this is why I have no LS and only 3 lbs of LR).

Thanks-FUGU

Not in B.C! but I see your point.There could be snow at the ordering wherehouses.Hmmmmmm,another problem.I will send an E-mail to a possible store and ask them about heating.I may hafto pay extra for a heated truck.

i live in the lower mainland but iam moveing to harison soon:(, i think if you order stuff from J&L they include a heat pack if its cold but iam not sure have you checked out ocean aquatics? theyre grate for coral!

I would shy away from the nudibranchs. They are hard to maintain for any length of time, may eat your polyps and can give off some nasty toxins when they do go belly up( and they will).

BB shrimp are cooler water species and prefer temps in the lower 70's F.

And 1 final note, with leathers and softies it is best to have a HOB filter with activated charcoal available as they sometimes engage in chemical warefare if something gets to close.

I was looking into a HOB,I am working on a fuge as I type.I dont have enough room in my AC150 for a charcol compartment but How much room do I need for cheato/LR?

The demensons are 6inW and 21/2IN width and 51/2in depth.Here is a pic post-22290-1162354245_thumb.jpgpost-22290-1162354278_thumb.jpg

I have taken it off my tank to replace my impeller TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!!

you dont have to run carbon 24/7.......it may look ugly, but you could always drop a bag of carbon in the tank in a select spot, then remove it in 2-4 days.....

i did this with my pico maybe once a week...., then maybe invest in a bigger aquaclear........one that you can chamber better.....

ACK!!! i got a worm in my computer!!! i can hear it munching nortons!

probably that dam myspace bug, the girl got my bro's sht contaminated.....

i can hear it faintly....chuk-ticka-tick, chuk-ticka-tick.........and now i got this nortons window that pops up like 50 times, even when i push the ok.....

any suggestions? hope its not from this site!

Thanks for the info! I will probably buy an empty filter bag and just refill it with carbon once a week and do what you said^^.

Run your anti virus softwear if you have it or look for the norton anti-virus page and run a free scan if they still have that.

Thanks for the info! I will probably buy an empty filter bag and just refill it with carbon once a week and do what you said^^.

Run your anti virus softwear if you have it or look for the norton anti-virus page and run a free scan if they still have that.

i would... cept this thing is eating nortons, its useless!

i hate to say it, but it may be from this site, maybe the adim could scan the site or is that something they cant do?

LOL why mine?? dont they know i look through terroist websites for fun??

i probably got the CIA nano reefing....

some random info found in my(brothers) system.....

j java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(ILjava/awt/Component;)Z+233

oh and more...

0x0c1d8d60 JavaThread "CompilerThread0" daemon [_thread_blocked, id=2904]

oh and dont be scared of any of my links b/c the ones i use are ones ive been using for a while w/o problems.....basically the neat links thread.....has to be from here!

ok im just being crazy (hopefully).....

Archived