Cultivated Reef

My First Nano!!

Xwhite

Well, I FINALLY got my 18 gallon Via Aqua. And when they say 18 gallons, they mean it. I filled that thing almost to the brim with 17 and change gallons of distilled/filtered water. Later, of course, I realized that this was pointless since you know I had to actually put other things in the tank.

Just mixed in the sea salt mix and dumped the aragonite sand in. So, it's one big cloudy mess. But, it's MY big cloudy mess! Even took pictures. ;P

I've been into the saltwater hobby since '95. Started my first reef in '97. It was a 55 gallon. Ran that reef for a few years. But, got out when a friend taking care of the tank while I was on vacation basically destroyed the reef that I worked so hard to create.

I used a swingarm hydrometer on that first reef. But, this time I went with a refractometer. Oh my, what a tool! So nice to throw a few drops on the thing look in there and see EXACTLY what my specific gravity is. Don't have to worry about knocking bubbles off of the damned arm and stuff.

So, after all of this time, here's the specs on my new tank. :)

18 Gallon Via Aqua Aquarium

36 watt PC daylight bulb

36 watt PC actinic bulb

150 watt titanium heater

AquaC Remora w/ Maxijet 1200

20 pounds Nature's Ocean aragonite sand

Going to throw in about 15 pounds of very cured fiji live rock later this week and let the tank go through its mini cycle. Then we're off to the races with a variety of snails and just a few hermits. :)

Even with this sand-only cloudy mess I have going here, I can't help but look at the tank. Hehe...

Okay, enough from me...

John

Originally posted by Xwhite

I filled that thing almost to the brim with 17 and change gallons of distilled/filtered water. ... Just mixed in the sea salt mix ...

...I've been into the saltwater hobby since '95.  Started my first reef in '97.  It was a 55 gallon.  Ran that reef for a few years.

uh....:

Yeah, yeah, so I was excited and wanted to see my new aquarium full! So sue me! ;P Oh, and I mixed the salt in the aquarium. It being empty at the time and all. :)

John

The first time i had a tank water + salt i just coudnt help it but bang it all in get all the equipment running do a few tests :). Then switch the lights on when it's all setteled YEEAAAAHHH.

P.s i would love to see pics of tank when you have some even without live stock :)

It's getting there. I found an awesome local saltwater shop today. If anyone here is in the Portland, Oregon area check out Waves in Lake Oswego and Souta's Saltwater in Portland.

http://www.soutassaltwater.com is the url for Souta's. Waves is big and has an incredible selection. But Souta's display tank is the best I've ever seen. And, quite frankly you'll not find a better selection of sps corals in the northwest. But, I'm not going to keep much in the way of sps corals. So, I like Waves selection of other corals/snails/crabs better.

http://www.soutassaltwater.com/Display.htm

Got my rock from Waves. 19 lbs of marshall island goodness. Hand picked from the curing vat by yours truly. :) The tank is finally clearing up after my aquascaping efforts. I'll take some pics when I have clear water.

Almost every piece of the rock is encrusted in purple/red coralline. You would not believe the number of shops around here that sell 'live' rock that's completely bleached out. Glad to have at least a couple of really good shops that sell the premium stuff.

John

Archived