Top Shelf Aquatics

pickling lime vs. kalk

ngericke

I seem to remember reading about pickling lime a couple of years ago as a substitute for kalk. Since I have been out of the reef loop for awhile I wanted to get some input on the use of the pickling lime.

I still have a bag of it left in the cabinet

Although I haven't personally tried it yet, should be ok as long as the lime is pure calcium hydroxide CaOH with no additives or spices.

NanoReefer53

Pickling lime is good stuff, works great, but not as dissolvable as aquarium grade kalk. Both are the same this, just different grades. With grocery store bought pickling lime you will be a white residue at the bottom of the water bucket but with aquarium grade pickinling lime (kalk), you'll barely get any.

Kalkwasser = Pickling Lime = Lime Water

Originally posted by NanoReefer53

Pickling lime is good stuff, works great, but not as dissolvable as aquarium grade kalk. Both are the same this, just different grades. With grocery store bought pickling lime you will be a white residue at the bottom of the water bucket but with aquarium grade pickinling lime (kalk), you'll barely get any.

Kalkwasser = Pickling Lime = Lime Water

kalk has a higher solubility than pickling lime. hence why it dissolves better. try some vineger into the pickling lime. it will help increase the solubility a bit. but hey, man $3 for a carton of pickling lime which will last you awhile or $20-30 for kalkwasser?

its really your choice.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

agreed. "Mrs Balls" is aparently decent. I haven'd been able to find any localy, but you can buy it online.

Mrs Balls..dave you've done it again, that's one of the funniest things i've read at 1:50am

• 1 month later...
HogWinslow

Literally it means Calcium water, but it also is used for hard water. Also when the coffee maker needs to be de calicified.

That's what the German guy I work with said.

Ja, wohl: Kalkwasser is a term meaning "calicified water".

Been getting my kalk @ $28 per 3 lbs, so I'm fine with it: lasts long enough.

Originally posted by Raise

how does you dose?

I use a medical grade peristaltic (sp?) feeding pump on my 65 gal, dosing 200 ml/hour. I have a second one and will be dosing reef builder from seachem to keep my alkalinity up.

ON the 10 gal, I use a simple dosing pump called an Aqua Dose or something..basically a dosing pump with a needle valve on the end that you manually adjust to drip. The IV pump is digital. I am

Archived