Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Sand/Rock Advice

dkopacz

I am just about ready to order my Live Rock & Live Sand but need some advice on how to add them to my new set up...

My set up is brand new, water is ready to go ..

What is the procedure to get the Rock/Sand ready to and how to add to the tank..

Thanks,

Dave

I just added my LR today, from what I have read on this board you can add the sand and rock at the same time. After adding them wait about 2 weeks for you tank to cycle. Light your tank for about 3-4 hrs a day during this 2 week period slowing increasing it until you are at about 10-12hrs a day.

hope this helps

Thanks, Do I have to do anything to each of them before adding them to the tank. Lets say I buy Live sand and fully cured tank ready Live Rock.

Dave

I added mine directly from my LFS tank to my own. I think this is correct, again this is my first nano-reef as well. Maybe one of the more experienced guys here can confim this.

The best order to add your LR + LS is:

LR in first ( cured or uncured)

IF CURED it's ok to add your sand

IF NOT you should wait until the tank has "cycled" then add the LS because if you add the LS before some of the good critters in it will die. It's best too keep alive as many as possible obviously :)

hope this helps Simon :)

Archived