Top Shelf Aquatics

12G Eclipse tank

reeefermadness

reeefermadness

Ok, first post here...

i set up a 12g eclipse a couple of weeks ago, and everything was looking really good. i have a few zoo rocks, xenia, shrooms, pepermint shrimp, BL hermits, pearly jaw, firefish, red stripe goby, yellow goby.

the temp of the tank has been going crazy. ranges from 74-80, and i cant seem to keep it steady. the temp raises a couple degrees with the light on, but then drops once in a while. i cant see a cause for this....

because of these temp fluctuations a couple of the fish got ich... so i decided to kill two birds with one stone, and catch/treat the fish, break down the tank, and add another 15 lbs of live sand. ( i have a 4" bed in there now, alot i know, but since the pearly and the goby like to burrow, i figured i'd spoil them)

so, to make a long, frustrating story short. the tank now looks like crap, the ich has cleared, and the coral did not like the tank being rearranged. most of the coral, is looking like its taking a turn for the worse, and the same with the fish. im convinced its these damn temp fluctuations, but i cannot seem to fix it. any ideas?

FYI: im using a heater for a 8G tank, because i have around that much water in there, due to the displacement of the rock and the ~35lbs of live sand. the light is the standard one that comes with the eclipse.

PS. why the hell are these small tanks so hard to control!!!! my 90, 55 and 30 reefs were amazing, but this one is a b!tch!

4 fish are a high bioload which is another contributer to ich and poor coral health. limit the fish down to 2 and go out and get a nice 50w heater. make sure you save the receipt too in case it malfunctions like your current heater.

reeefermadness

I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow.

has anyone modded the eclipse hood to hold a P/C bulb?

anyone know where i can purchase P/C bulb? do i need a balast too?

mods: feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

about the temp, 74 to 80 really isnt too terribly bad, my tank is 74 when I wake up and goes to about 79 to 80 at its warmest during the day and everything- shrimp snails hermit a few featherdusters and zoas- are all very happy

just a thought

Smartpaq retrofit made for eclipse hoods. The light increased the temp for me but I just opened the small cover on top and that solved the problem. I initially hung the light bare over the water but the salt started taking over. Now I have a 16" glass top placed between the light and the water. You can angle at the filter section and this will eliminate the water and salt buildup on the light fixture. Hope this helps.

reeefermadness
about the temp, 74 to 80 really isnt too terribly bad, my tank is 74 when I wake up and goes to about 79 to 80 at its warmest during the day and everything- shrimp snails hermit a few featherdusters and zoas- are all very happy

just a thought

i figured that was a big jump in temp on a day to day basis... the ich has fully cleared by the way.

UPDATE: everything seems to have fully recovered except the xenia, which im still waiting on...

i am prob going to unload the yellow goby, so if someone local would like to trade for a frag/invert, let me know.

Smartpaq retrofit made for eclipse hoods. The light increased the temp for me but I just opened the small cover on top and that solved the problem. I initially hung the light bare over the water but the salt started taking over. Now I have a 16" glass top placed between the light and the water. You can angle at the filter section and this will eliminate the water and salt buildup on the light fixture. Hope this helps.

is smartpaq a company or a user on the boards? what kind of upgrade was it? pics/prices? i would prob do a DIY, just looking for some ideas.

also, could a moderator please move this to the right forum, i posted in the wrong one by accident. Cheers!

Archived