ReefCleaners.org

Christopher's Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Here is my 7.5 gallon Nano Reef.  The system is the first prototype of what is now my wet/dry system that I sell.  It's actually been running for about 1.5 years, but after the first 3 months I sold the lights for it.  There were never any corals in it, as there were no lights, but I did have an ocellaris clown and a skunk cleaner shrimp in it ever since the beginning.  Anyways, I broke down and placed some lights on it January 2nd, a 32w smartlight retro.

nanoreef01-03-02.jpg

On the 3rd of January I fragged some green star polyps from my 90 gallon and placed them in the Nano Reef.  You can see the rubber bands holding it down to the rock in the bottom right hand corner.

I finally was able to move my office, and it is now on my office desk where I can enjoy it more.  Here is my office and the tank:

OFFICE.JPG

I plan on building a new tank for this system with starphire glass, and without a wet/dry since I don't need it, as well as an oak canopy and base.  I'll be posting updates to this on a page in the near future.

Let me know what you think.

Hey Chris (Mr.President),

Your tank looks great. when i start up my next nano i will definatly buy it from you.  I hope you didnt mind me venting in the lounge there(heehee). sorry about that.

-Steve

Hi Chris,

your tank looks really nice, i just wondering, what did you use to color the background of your tank, it's really bright up the whole thing. Hope to see more pic in the future.

Simon

Christopher Marks

Well, here are some updates...

I added a Silver Gorgonian frag today (from my 90 gallon) and the green star polyp frag has opened up very nicely.  Everything is looking great!  Here are some of today's pictures:

Front:

nanoreef01-04-02.jpg

Side:

corner01-04-02.jpg

And a fun fish eye picture:

fisheye01-04-02.jpg

Chris,

Did you paint the background of your tank to blue, or you use those background paper? if so, what kind of paint did you use, i would like to have such pretty background on my tank too.

Simon

20G cycling

Christopher Marks

Simon, It's just the front of the filter area which is made of acrylic.  The rest of the tank is glass.  Look at these tanks to understand what I mean: www.nanoreefs.com/aquariums.htm

Hey Simon, I painted the back of my tank blue. It was SOOO easy, I just put some news paper and tape around it, got a nice shade of blue Rust-Oleum Spray Paint and held it about 2-3 feet away. After 2 maybe 3 quick coats on the outside back I let it set overnight and it turned out well. Just make sure when you are putting on your coats that you really look for areas where the paint is bubbling and go over them heavily.

:freak2:Gaber:freak2:

p.s. yeah i really didn't let it set overnight, just a few hours, i was too anxious to add sand, water and rock ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is my first post, I would like to say that this is a wonderful site.  I was wondering if you could tell me if those tanks that were at that link are all you need as far as equiptment goes.  I mean, if I were to buy that, I would not need to add anything other than water, substrate, and livestock right?  Or what else would be required once one of those tanks is purchased?

Christopher Marks

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com Atom!

With these nano reef aquariums, the only other equipment you would want to add is a heater.  After that, it's just a matter of adding water, live rock, live sand, and critters.  There are different models available that all look the same on the outside... http://www.store.nano-reef.com/aquariums.htm

• 3 months later...
Joxer the Mighty

Very nice! Do you have an update on when the 18 gal Nano Reef Refugium model will be available? I'm toying with the idea of starting up another tank. :)

hey chris nice tank like the clown will be putting one in my 7 gal a life as soon as it get over its second cycle have no clue whay its doing that but hopfully it will turn out nice

cameron barr

great looking tank, chris. in your page, you said that the cualerpa helped alot with the algae. did it really help that much?

Archived