Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flat Worms....HELP

lpabsolute

I just started to notice a few red flat worms on a rock in my 5.5g nano tank. The rock has yellow polyps on it. About a week later i noticed that a few of them were on the actual polyps. I did some research and found that the red ones are bad and that i should get ride of them. Any suggestions on how to do this in such a small tank. I don't want to dose my tank with anything that might hurt my other corals/fish. Please help......

SpencerShepard

freshwater dips are effective. when i first discovered flatworms in my tank, i took a pipette of RO water and gave them a slow gentle dose....seemed to kill them in a few seconds. something to try before stressing your corals with a full dip. although you should be able to dip polyps no problem.

Be careful though, as flat worms release toxins when they are disturbed and/or die! if enough toxin is dumped into your pico it will crash super fast!

Try using a pipette to suck them out your tank, or syphon with a thin tube, get as many as you can before going in all guns blazing.

Archived