Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What all will spray ink?

dirtdart

Hey there, I just got my Sun Coral today and went to FWD him when all of a sudden the water turned purple. I quickly pulled him back out and proceeded to find where the discoloration was coming from. On the very bottom of the coral, I could see a couple of narrow legs coming out of a small crack. For the life of me I can't remember what they looked like (color/shape/etc), I just remember seeing two legs kind of hugging the rock before they were pulled in. :happy:

Any thoughts as to what might be hiding under my Sun Coral?

Thanks in advance,

Art

Just a word of caution. If it is an octopus (which would be my guess) some, such as the blue ring octopus, have a lethal bite. Just be careful until you know what it is.

djchristone,

I knew I was opening myself up for that one. :P

Duncan & jemram,

I was kind of hoping that there was something out there that reseambled an octo/squid, but wasn't! -_- I guess I'm going to have to keep it seperated a little longer in hopes of drawing it out. Any suggestions on how to trap it? and, what characteristics to look for (blue ring octo-wise)? :o Knowing my luck, I'll get one that's lethal!!!

Any websites I can go to that would have pics of these guys, and small write ups?

Thanks so much,

Art

As mentioned use a torch at night, but if poss use a red light as this is the first colour in the spectrum to disappear, thus the inverts don't see it! You can try using live bait this works well, small crabs are a favourite with mine.

I doubt it is a blue ring, but it is a possibility as the rock is normally havested from the same habitat so go careful. Another good menthod for capture it to place a small drinks bottle in the tank with a small hole in the side, roughly 2-3mm and the a small crab inside that.

Then its a waiting game, as the plan is, the octopus will not be able to resist the sweet smell of crab and will slip into the bottle at some point and then when in you need to remove the bottle with him/her still inside... Hope it helps.

bigbabich,

You and me both.

Finding_Nemo,

Sounds like a good plan. I'm off to get a 20oz soda, and some crab.

I'll definitely take photos of this guy when/if I am able to get him out from the underside of my coral. I always wanted a sun coral, didn't know it was going to be so entertaining.

Thanks,

Art

It sounds to me like some sort of cephlapod. An octopus most likely.

If you didn't clear the ink out quickly, it may have killed the pus.

I rather doubt it's a blue ring, as they are not too shy. Mine was out most of the time, and it had tons of places to hide

Have you mysteriously lost any shrimp or crabs lately? this is a pretty good indicator of an octo hitchhiker.

If you've got one, that's a great hitchhicker! Check out www.tonomo.com for ceph care info.

It sounds to me like some sort of cephlapod. An octopus most likely.

If you didn't clear the ink out quickly, it may have killed the pus.

I rather doubt it's a blue ring, as they are not too shy. Mine was out most of the time, and it had tons of places to hide

Have you mysteriously lost any shrimp or crabs lately? this is a pretty good indicator of an octo hitchhiker.

If you've got one, that's a great hitchhicker! Check out www.tonomo.com for ceph care info.

that would be www.tonmo.com NOT www.tonomo.com

I'm willing to place my bet on it being a sea slug. Purple ink is very characteristic of sea slugs because of their diet of red algae whereas most cephalopods have a much more darker colored ink. The two legs could have most likely been the sea slugs antennae probing out to see whats going on. Just my two cents, do with it what you will.

its not goin to be a bimac seeing that they are a temperate species. i would put the sun coral in a bucket in the dark and put some sort of PCV pipe small grade( b sure to wash before) and put some frozen food in there in hopes of luring out. Good luck and If you dont want it ill take it assuming its an octo ;)

Archived