inTank Media Baskets

My first corals!

Aggie05

Went and bought an open brain and a ricordea rock yesterday. The ricordea rock is going into my 2.5 when it is ready but for now it is in my 10. One question though, the ric rock has what i guess is a bearded clam on it. It is still alive and kicking, is it a bad thing to have or just one more thing to talk about in the tank?

ps: ignore the algae. I think I am finally winning.

Here are the pics.

love the ricodas they look sweet and the brain :D

p.s i havent had much experiance with that type of clam so i couldnt tell you anything.

pps KEEP ON REEFING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell ya, bearded clam is good to have. I would suggest a good doucheing and a possible shave (I prefer my bearded clam this way). In my opinion you can never get enough bearded clam.

R*Frost*, sorry to hear of your lack of bearded clam expirience.

Aggie05-

I Guess I will just say it.. ???

Not to be mean or incite anything, but you started a 2.5 nano, and your 10 looks like that? Some friendly advice, master one tank, before you create another.

Your 10 gallon is either still cycling or is suffering from a number of other issues. You might want to get that in check before you really start filling your tanks.

This is just a friendly post. :)

Originally posted by LiQuiD

In my opinion you can never get enough bearded clam.

but what if it's attached to a guy named "Ric" :|:x :|

ha ha guys, yes I know what a bearded clam is, but I thought there really was a "bearded clam" in the aquatic world, as it really does have a beard on the lip of each shell. Anyways, it is some sort of clam or mussel and is pretty neat to watch.

As far as the algae goes, the tank is not cycling, my levels have been dead on for two weeks now with no water changes. I did one yesterday just in case though. I really think that it is due to overfeeding so I am cutting back. I am starting to win the battle, i also think part of it was that I didn't get a clean up crew until it had already started so they are behind but are finally catching up. I am going to let the 2.5 sit for a few weeks before I put anything in it so don't worry.

Sorry aggie but you might want to get another test kit or something.

Overfeeding = food breakdown + more fish poop = EXCESS NUTRIENTS = bad algae

From the looks of things something is definitely not "right on",

check your top off water for phosphates too. Are you dosing phyto?

I still need to check for phosphates and I should have picked up a test kit today but forgot to. I am pretty sure it isn't the test kits though, nothing else in the tank is showing any negative signs and the tests have shown results before. Also remember that my tank is a little over a month old. From what I have read when searching on this board and another, an algae outbreak is somewhat common in new tanks, even when the levels are good. But it is showing signs that the growth is slowing so I am assuming and hoping it is just a phase type of thing. I will test for phosphates though, but I am using Walmart distilled water which I know many others use with no problem.

one more thing, if it were phosphates wouldn't it be a problem in my fuge as well? Because there really isn't any sort of growth in the fuge except for the macro.

edit: I just went and scrubbed all of my rock with a toothbrush and basically got rid of all the brown algae. I am running my hob with a filter pad to pull out most of it. So now I guess if it comes back then I will know if there is a problem or not. Correct? And I am open to any other suggestions on things to try. Thanks for yalls guidance so far.

Since your tank is so new and from the looks of the pictures, I would say that you are just still going through a diatom bloom. It should pass in a week or so. Don't sweat it.

Thats comforting. I know it isn't cycling for sure. I did just go out and buy a phosphate test and will have the results shortly. Part of me hopes there is some so at least I know what is causing it. But if it is still diatoms from being new then I can live with that as well, I just didn't think it was this overwhelming.

no phosphates, guess ill just wait a little longer and see what happens. Would doing more frequent water changes help?

It has been up for a month and 4 days now. It cycled in like a week and half, and yes I am positive it cycled. I got an ammonia and nitrite spike and then they dropped to zero and I haven't had any readings since then. The two fish, the peppermint shrimp, the hermits, snails, and the new coral are all doing great so my water quality isn't the problem. I knew that new tanks go through this I just wasn't expecting such a huge outbreak. But now that I know it is normal I will be fine with it and just wait it out. No big deal. I was just worried I had done something wrong. Thanks for the help liquid.

Archived